Chapter 6

Cards

And just like that, another three days passed. People are able to recover from the incident and now doing the usual like nothing happened. This time around, Philip have a friend to play with. They become close fast despite him incapable of understanding all her words and actions, even so they become friends with her and her enthusiastic atmosphere.

She's very approachable, the kind of kid you want to be friend with and who always set the mood light and bright. She's fun to play with, something the boy like, very much. Though new to him, its not bad.

They meet with their parents arrangements from the dinning cabin of second class, it change however two days ago for the sake of complaining husband of Pearla. He don't like them going in and out from the second class, showing that even his quiet and unsociable, he had a pride as First Class Alpha.

So the meeting place change from second to the first class dinning cabin. Some first class looked at them with complaining faces but they can't voice out their pride as first class. One reason was that they are transferred to the prestige class in some reason unknown.

It is questionable that of the two alpha, why him and his family? Thinking that they had some sort of connection from the Prestige Class, they can't do the obvious clique complain. Though they don't know its just a random pick of who's transfering the Prestige Class Cabin.

Pearla's husband too provide her the same reason, its random pick and for the sake of adjusting the capacity. Sometimes First Class are not easy to reason out but Prestige is another level, they don't need reason at all or what people think, that the in below of that class (First) cannot reason how Prestige class works.

On the other side, Philip with the new friend are playing some cards. Cards that's popular in the second and third class children. A card made out of thirty-two in total and divided into two same picture. A play to pair up the other card with the same design while its upside down.

"Here and there. This one...oh! I remember this paired with, aha! Knew it!"

The little girl talks while flipping the cards multiple times. And with last batch of eight cards, she finished.

"And this one paired to this!! I finished it~haha!"

With amazement, Philip clapp his hands admiring her play. She is faster than him despite playing half of the card for beginners' sake. She offer to play first a while ago to teach him how its done, but she's too fast that he didn't get it. So when its his turn, he blank out not knowing what to do. So she remove half of the cards for him. However, it still fail, he didn't paired at least one. So here she is, explaining again but slowly while making sure he learns it.

"Now it your turn! Don't worry, its just playing, for fun! So, don't tear up if you can't" she said brightly.

Indeed, Philip almost cry while frozen in his spot unable to do anything earlier. He's too scared because he didn't get to know what to do and felt bad for some reason. Thankfully the playmate immediately took the action to prevent him so.

Scrabble Scrabble Scrabble... Her hand keeps mixing the sixteen cards in her hand, then one by one lay it in the table in front him. With every move, they feel like the whole surroundings slowed down. And the last card finally on the table.

Watching it all happened, Philip take a deep breath focusing his eyes on the cards. With another deep breath, he finally move his hand to flip the card. He touch another card to flip and it shows different designs. He sigh.

"Its okay! Its your first time after all! You can do it!!" His friend encourage him.

Though he don't know what she mean, she nooded and flip the two cards upside down again. Determine to finished and pair all eight.

He continues to flip the cards around for long. Feeling he can't do it, even Alysia's cheering felt becoming distance and ineffective, he becoming gloomy. Not wanting to continue as he fail many times for all the flipping and choosing the wrong pair, he want to give up but his hand continue on.

His hand, shaking from the doom failure, stop on top of a card. His gloomy atmosphere then changes as he remembered something. If he recalled earlier, this is the first card he flipped and...its pair is the same as the card in the table showing its design. His eyes wide open from realization, though scared for another failure he trust his memory and slowly flipped the card. With closed eyes, he turn it.

Gasps!

A loud gasps sounded that made him open his eyes. Looking at the same table now, he see the same design facing him. With such glad, he smile so wide as if he's on top of the world, almost crying.

Then loud applause echo around him. Startled, his body flinch and turn to. Turning, he find his parent and her parents clapping and smiling. Even his new father figure has a slight smirk in the corner of his mouth.

Since when they are watching? Long now, both mothers of the children was chatting when a loud cheering made by Aysia could be hear almost the entire cabin. Curious, they watch and it made them watch until the end. Katipunan came to find the two as they are talking too long to witness the same happening.

"One pair! You did it! It will easy for the others! You can do it!"

Drown in ecstasy, her cheering made it loud bringing Philip to continue. He breath calming his fast beating heart and facing the battlefield yet again.

One...Then two...The two followed by the third pair. Then Fourth. With half of the cards left, he felt no discouraged now even the large amount of failure piled up, bravery continue and wanting to end the play, he flip another.

The still silence is long, the cabin has been empty long ago now and they are all was left. Even so, they continue to watch the never ending and continue cheering him on. Watching the child growth, are parents happiness. So with all attention, parents of both children watch.

All left are four remaining cards left, two pairs to go and it done. With his memory, he flip the one on the left followed by his hand moving somewhere. His hand move up and down from the two card he left and remember the paired one is, hesitate to, flip a voice came.

"You can do it!"

Aysia continue to encourage with same voice. He nooded and no longer hesitate.

With a flip, silent again.

Aysia immediately slip down her sit and gone to his side, hugging him as her congratulatory to him.

The card shows the same picture of rabbits in black. Frozen in the spot, not believing after a long time finally...two cards remaining. And it means one thing, its the last pair.

Aysia then call down, the parents just chuckle but inwardly relief and having festivals. Philip looked up and three pairs of eyes meet his sight, her adopted parents and Aysia's mother. His eyes landed in his parents and with a smile and nod from them, he finally flip the two remaining cards.

It shows starts, three starts, two small with five sides at the side and one big with six sides at the center around the dark and black background. Not knowing why, his mind imprint that design along side the first pair he matched- the white rabbits. As his memory take notes it, the game already ended with his victory!

With last goodbye, the families departed as its already night time when the game finished. On the way their room, Pearla is happily chatting and congratulating her son from his achievements until they made it in their room.

On his bed, he can't fall asleep from the new feeling. The excitement and thrill is still there occupying his mind until the dead night. He only fell asleep when he remembered the last card and its stars. Stars that shines the sky, he closed his eyes with the same light like those of starts.