Chapter 15

Sister...

Ten hours before the chimera incident...

Fatigue weighed on Rus' broad shoulders as he wrapped up his latest mission, trudging towards the mansion. The whispers and rumors he encountered along the way were nothing new.

"The young master is back."

"Apparently, he finished his mission once again... but, as usual, he... caused another gruesome scene."

"Still as scary as ever..."

"He's just too capable."

"As long as we have people like him, we will at least be safe."

Their words were a constant reminder of his position as a powerful alpha within a prestige class family. Some saw him as a hero, while others felt threatened by his abilities.

"Yea, those monsters"

"For how long, I wonder?"

"I hear he refused another marriage proposal..."

"Tsk tsk tsk"

"I mean who would want to marry if your mother is infected..."

"Indeed. I will not marry too if that's the case."

"But objectively speaking, it would be impossible for him not to marry since he is a dominant alpha. The royal family will not allow such capable dominant not to marry."

"And a marriage is an opportunity to enter the Prestige Class. That means power, glory, and authority par with the royals."

"Whether he marries or not, it's not our business. And it would be impossible to marry that stubborn person. You would be lucky to stand that guy for an hour already."

"That's right. No omega can stand that monster."

After walking the endless halls, he found himself in a garden bursting with sunshine and vibrant flowers. In a wheelchair nearby sat Uki, his fragile sister who had been plagued by illness since birth. Despite being abandoned by their family, Rus always made time for his sister.

All siblings have their circumstances that's why they can't afford to take care of others. Some siblings hate Uki for her weakness, and some despite her being a freeloader within the house and blood. They are all gossiping about how lucky she is for her brother to take care of her.

Exhaustion turned to warmth as he stroked her wheelchair, and her sunlit face bloomed with joy.

"Brother! You're here!"

She excitedly greeted.

Her face blooms sunshine along the way, making Rus warm inside.

Rus took a day off for her. Their plan from the very beginning was going to part which is today. Their plans for the day were finally coming to fruition, and Rus relished in Uki's excitement to step outside.

Rus understands her sister's enthusiasm since it's been so long since she left and stepped outside. Due to her fragile build, she always rushed back inside to be treated before stepping some steps outside.

Rus took care of her sister not because he pitied her or due to a sense of responsibility but the fact that her very situation reminded him of her mother. His fragile mother died giving birth to him which is a miracle in itself already.

Since birth, her mother is said to have been bedridden with some unknown disease. But things happened that caused Rus' very existence and that made it more difficult for her mother. Now that he has grown up to understand his mother's position, all he can do is nothing but care for someone with a similar condition to her. If ever his mother is still alive, he will do the same as he's doing now.

He might see his mother in Uki's situation, but Rus never confuses Uki as her mother. He separates them. Over time, Rus truly cares for Uki and that's the same at the very moment.

So, he gently pushes her wheelchair entering the house as he listens to her chattering about what she will do in the park.

Together, they explored the park, taking in the beauty of the lake, and various treats. Despite her frailty, Uki's spirit was indomitable, and Rus cherished their time together.

There is one-time Uki met a trio of siblings while watching some rides. It was specifically the youngest of these kids got excited and ran only to bump into her while Rus went to buy her cotton candy she begged for.

She played with that kid for a bit until his brothers caught up to their youngest. She bid farewell and soon after, her brother came. She told him about them while giggling.

As they sat in the Ferris wheel, Uki's words seemed to hold a certain weight, a warning of impending loss.

"Thank you, brother. This means to me a lot..."

"It's nothing. This is the only thing I can do for you."

She smiled gently.

"You're wrong, brother. It's not something I can say as 'only'."

She paused contemplating, arranging which word to say next.

"You made my whole world bright. Bright that it made me realize how dimmed my world is. For that, I'm so thankful."

Rus did not say anything. He just listens to his sister's voice, word by word analyzing something.

"I'm so happy now. So much happiness that I can't dream of..."

She mutters some words no one can hear but the latter in front of her notice her lips move.

He was about to ask about it when she continue.

"That's why... Brother, be happy too."

He then smiles a little bit. Feeling the warmth but the same time strangely terrified. Why? He wonders.

...

Even still, he replies honestly.

"But I already am."

"I'm not talking about now! Silly! What I'm saying is the future!"

Uki, "What about a partner?! Marriage!! Huh!"

"Well, I'm not-"

He was cut off without mercy. As Ukraine chatters continue.

"Don't have a plan for marriage?! Hah! In your dreams, I think I'll find your partner now!"

"What's your type?"

"I like them cute. Cute enough you'll fall for them immediately..."

She one-sidedly chooses his brother's preference as she pleases but the person in question does not mind.

Thinking about it, if he ever, indeed, plans to marry...

'I think something cute is not bad.'

He majorly agrees without telling the person in front. Since she's having have planning already the wedding.

Moments passed when she suddenly said something that piqued his interest.

"I wish I could see your lifetime partner..."

Before Rus could unpack those emotions, the scent of danger caught his nose. He spoke the word, and Uki knew it was time for him to do his job. With a final whispered farewell, Rus left Uki with his men to protect and moved to face the chimera.

When Rus is left, Uki whispers: It's better this way.... This way, you don't have to see me leave.

The next time he saw her, it was her funeral.