ii.

2006.
5 years.

It was just two years, and her oppa was being super mean. Why couldn't she play tag with him and his friends? She was pretty sure even one of them was the same age as her.

"You're being unfair!", she cried. She'd learnt to read last year, and she'd never ever stopped reading ever since. That's why she had picked up some difficult vocabulary for a five year old.

"You're a girl, I am protecting you", Yeonjun's seven year old hand landed softly on her shoulder and she wiggled it off.

"I can protect myself", she crossed her arms in front of her chest, huffing and pouting as her oppa just stared at her and then back at the kids from the neighborhood who were waiting on him to start playing.

"They will push you and you'll scratch your knees, Jun", he tried reasoning with her.

Her eyes welled up in tears as she realized it wasn't only that she was a girl, but it was because she was her sister. Yeonjun could be very over protective, and he would fight whomever dared hurt her. That's why she couldn't play; the other kids wouldn't go near her because they were afraid of Yeonjun the bully older brother.

A single tear made its way down her chubby, dust stained cheek and her lip wobbled a little bit.

"Okay", she said in a small voice as the tear fell from her face and was lost on the grass.

He then smiled and made his way towards the neighborhood kids, yelling that they could start playing. Junoh walked back home, her snot mixing with the dirt that had been accumulated on her face, and the tears running down her face.

Did her oppa even like her? Maybe he didn't want the other kids to be around her because he himself didn't want to be around her.

Opening the front door, she could smell cookies baking. Ah, that smell could always make her feel better. Mommy always made the best cookies and let her have warm milk with them. Yeonjun would–

No. That potty faced brother of hers didn't deserve cookies.

"Mommy!", Junoh called out as her mom took out the tray filled with delicious looking cookies.

"Oh, pretty baby", her mother wiped her hands on her apron and then crouched down so Junoh could jump on her arms. "What's wrong?", she asked while carrying the little girl towards the bathroom.

It was almost a routine. Junoh was a very curious girl, so she'd stick her hand everywhere and get herself super dirty throughout the day.

Cleaning her brownish face due to dust and dried tears, her mommy waited for Junoh to speak.

"He didn't let me play with him", her lip wobbled but she didn't let the tears fall.

"Why is that?", her mommy started brushing her hair in order to put the two piggy tails back in place.

"It's because I'm a girl", Junoh stated while waiting for her mom to put her down from the bathroom sink counter.

"Really?", her mommy asked and Junoh nodded.

"He thinks I will fall and scratch my knees", she mumbled.

"But you already have scratched knees", her mommy placed a small kiss on top of her head.

"I know! I told him so!"

She'd fallen while following a butterfly, and had her knees bleeding because of the landing. It was a few days ago, so the memory didn't make her eyes watery anymore.