x.

2023.
22 years.

She was waiting.

Her eyes were so puffy and heavy she thought she wouldn't be able to open them all the way for the whole day.

It had taken her s lot of begging to get her brother to disclose where was Beomgyu's hiding place. When they were kids, whenever he was upset or wanted some time alone, he would go to the empty house in the neighborhood, and climb on the treehouse that the last owners had set up.

It had taken Junoh a while to figure out that the treehouse was Beomgyu's hiding place, but after she did, she knew he was in there and would often visit him with some snacks that made him happy.

Most of the times it worked: visiting him with food and cuddles. But Junoh wasn't certain he would want to even see her, so this was a long shot. Beomgyu had never been this hurt and angry towards her, so her anxiety was skyrocketing and her guiltiness was on top too.

She hoped he would listen. Because she thought she might die if he didn't give her a chance, at least to explain.

There wasn't much explaining to do. Probably she would ramble about being the poor child with dead parents and that she needed to escape to find herself –which wasn't a lie, but sometimes talking too much about it made it lose importance.

Beomgyu also had a dead father, so why would he pity her? Was she even trying to get his pity?

She just wanted a chance to talk to him again.

So, shaking all her fears away, with trembling hands, she pressed the bell to his office. Beomgyu was self employed, so all of his recognition and the name he had made for himself was because of his hard work. And it didn't surprise her to be standing outside an old-looking apartment building, ringing the bell for the first floor apartment.

The door was unlocked for her to come in, and she assumed Beomgyu was waiting for someone. Given it was near lunch time, he probably had asked for some takeout delivery.

She walked, her hand tightening its hold on the bag that held the food Beomgyu loved too much, and she sighed when arriving at his doorstep.

This was it.

"I wasn't expecting you to arrive so soo–", he opened the door and his smile fell. "Junoh".

"Beomgyu", she half smiled. He raised his eyebrows, trying to get her to speak up. "I brought dorayaki", she squeaked out.

"Hm", he nodded.

They stayed standing there, in silence, Beomgyu's eyes on her face, and her feelings going overboard because his presence alone was like umami on food for her. It heightened every little detail of her emotions, making them spike and twirls in her insides. Junoh was sure he could tell he had this effect on her.

"Leave it", he extended his hand after a while, her smile faltering.

"No", she stepped back.

"Junoh".

"You can have them after we talk".

"This talk is a little late, Junoh. About four years too late, don't you think?", he tilted his head, his arm still extended, waiting for Junoh to give him the dorayaki.