Burns

Ash spent 2 days training with his Pokémon nonstop. His classes at the school were spent on training his Litten and Rowlet how to counter their weaknesses. He trained Litten against Lana and Popplio, and Rowlet against Kiawe and Turtonator. 

Litten struggled a little against Popplio, Litten managed to win most of the spars, due to his natural battle capabilities. His quick movements were able to overwhelm Popplio most of the time, and Litten was nimble enough to dodge any Water attacks she threw at him.

 Rowlet, despite being just as battle capable as Litten, had a lot of trouble against Turtonator. Turtonator's body was at least three times bigger than Rowlet's, and his explosive shell made Rowlet struggle getting in close to land a Peck or Tackle, and Turtonator outpowered Rowlet at ranged battles, Rowlet lost every single spar against Turtonator. 

Kukui and Rockruff took over for Kiawe and Turtonator, and Rowlet performed much better against Rockruff, who had very good aim with his Rock Throw. The spar was much more even, and Rowlet had won more spars.

Once Ash decided they were ready, everyone had gone to watch Ash's first Island Trial. 

"The Trial Captain's name is Ilima." Kukui told Ash as they walked to the Trial Site. "You don't battle the Trial Captains themselves, you are given a task to solve, and once you finish it, you battle a Totem Pokémon, which are Pokémon that are naturally huge, compared to others of their species. This Trial has you fight a Totem Gumshoos. That's all from me, though. Ilima will explain the rest." Kukui explained, as the party approached Verdant Cavern.

Ilima was there to greet them. He had pink hair, dull blue eyes, and dark skin. He wore a brown sweater vest, long white pants, a pair of white shoes, and had a blue bag strapped to his pants. His Trial Captain Medal was wore as a hair accessory, and he wore a friendly smile on his face.

"Alola, Professor Kukui! How are you today?" Ilima asked.

"Alola, Ilima! I'm doing alright, we all are here to watch Ash's first Trial." Kukui said, as Ash stepped up.

"You must be this Ash I've heard about." Ilima said. "You had some good things both said and seen about you."

"Thanks, Ilima. Looking forward to this trial." Ash said.

"Right, well then, I have to ask all of you to please come with me." Ilima said as he led the group into the cavern. A large, open area was in the heart of the cave, sun shines through small openings in the cave roof, and there was a small spot set aside for viewers.

"Ash, your trial is to find, and defeat 2 Yungoos, and 1 Gumshoos. Once you do that, you may go to the Totem den, and fight the Totem Gumshoos, if you succeed in defeating it, you receive the Normalium-Z. It's a Z-Crystal that, if used on a Pokémon that has a Normal Type move, will allow them to use the Z-Move Breakneck Blitz, however, you don't seem to have a Z-Ring, so you can't use it. But don't worry! You still get the Z-Crystal, but you need a Z-RIng if you want to use it." Ilima explained. "Everyone else, please go have a seat in the spectator area." 

Once everyone was seated, Ilima gave Ash the signal to start, and Ash released Litten and Rowlet. 

"Okay, you three know what to do, right?" Ash asked. His three Pokémon nodded, and Ash smiled. "Then lets do this! We start with the Yungoos, lets get searching!" Ash said, as his team split up to look. Pikachu found one right away, and made quick work of it with Ash's direction. 

Rowlet hooted as a Yungoos popped out of a hole, and tried to bite his wing. Ash ran over, and Rowlet beat Yungoos with a well placed Leafage. The rest of the crew were chatting in the stands.