Prepare Yourself

Hau'oli City was apparently the largest city in Alola, so why did it feel so small? This thought perplexed Ash as he wandered the streets. Maybe it was because he had seen much bigger cities than Hau'oli, like Lumiose City, or Mauville City, also Slateport, Lilycove, Goldenrod, Nimbasa, even Viridian City felt bigger than Hau'oli. 

"Something wrong, Ash?" Lillie asked, walking beside Ash.

"I'm just wondering... Hau'oli is the biggest city in Alola, right?" Ash asked, to which Lillie nodded.

"But it feels so... small, compared to other big cities I've been to?" Ash continued.

"That's probably because Alola doesn't have a population quite as big as other regions, like Kalos or Hoenn." Lillie answered. "Since we don't have nearly as many people here, we don't need cities quite as big as Lumiose or Mauville." 

"I guess that makes sense."  Ash said, before his bag vibrated. Unsure of what it was, Ash took off his bag and looked inside to find Rotom-Dex, buzzing.

"Something wrong, Rotom?" Ash asked.

Rotom floated out of Ash's bag, and his face showed back up on the screen. "Nothing wrong Ash-zzzt- just a call from-zzzzt- Professor Kuku-zzzzzt." Rotom answered to the best of his abilities.

Ash pressed the green answer button on Rotom's screen, and Kukui's face appeared, along with a lady with white hair and tanned skin.

"Alola, Professor." Ash said. "Who's that?"

"Alola, Ash! Alola, Lillie!" Kukui answered, "This is Burnet, my girlfriend." 

Burnet turned around to look at the camera. "Oh, Alola! Are these some of the students you told me about, Kukui?"

"Yep, this is Ash and Lillie. Lillie has the highest scores in the class, and Ash arrived a few months ago, and is taking part in the Island Trial." Kukui explained, before turning back to the screen. "I was just calling to let you know that Hala, the Island Kahuna, is back from his time off with his grandson, Hau."

"So, are you saying what I think you are?" Ash asked excitedly, his eyes shining.

"Yep, I talked it over with him, and Hala is happy to give you your Grand Trial! Once you're done, you can go to Akala Island, to keep working on your Trials there!" Kukui explained. "Once you beat Hala, our whole class is off for the remaining... hold on, gimme a sec."

 Kukui pulled out a calendar, and began reading it. "For the remaining 3 weeks of the year before summer, to support ya all the way, Ash!"

"Wow, that's great! I appreciate the support." Ash said, gratefully.

"Well, don't thank us yet..." Kukui said, reluctantly. "The whole class will be with you on Akala Island only. You need to do Ula'Ula Island, and Poni Island, yourself." Kukui said. "But don't worry, we'll check up on ya every day. Rotom-Dex will be with you the entire time, though."

"Well, that sucks. You think you guys could come for the Grand Trials? I'll let you know beforehand." Ash asked.

"Of course we can! Just let us know when it's happening." Kukui exclaimed. "Anyways, that's all from us. See ya tomorrow, for your first Grand Trial!" Kukui hung up, and Ash immediately began stressing.

"Tomorrow? Oh Arceus, I got to get training! I don't even know what type of Pokémon Hala uses!" Ash slowly panicked more and more, until Pikachu ended it. Despite the power behind the Thunderbolt, It hardly left a mark on Ash. "I won't encourage that... but thanks, Pikachu." Pikachu seemed satisfied with his work.