[ s e v e n ]

┌─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┐
chapter seven
LYING
└─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┘

┌─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┐chapter sevenLYING└─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┘

─────❀◦❀◦❀─────

THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE WAS FILLED WITH PEOPLE. Reporters, detectives, ambulances, firefighters. There was no way for her to get inside.

Peter was holding his camera as Harper looked around. Cars were destroyed, people were hurt, there was fire. It was hard to believe someone like Spider-Man was involved in all of this, or even be responsible for it.

"Dad!" A kid yelled as he point at Peter. "Dad."

Peter opened his eyes widely as he recognized the kid he had saved just an hour or less ago. Jack was his name. Peter placed his hand on Harper's back and quickly guided her away from the kid and his dad.

"Where are we going?"

"To see if... you know... we get into the action."

Harper nodded. "Right."

In the middle of all the police and FBI there was Harper's dad, Detective Cohen, chatting. He looked angry, stressed, focused. Peter got scared for a second.

"I want every team and every officer in Queens and, erase that, in the entirety of Manhattan— to look for this— Spider-Man. He is not getting away with this."

Harper wrote it down on her little notebook, gaining Peter's attention.

"What are you writing down?" He asked her, honestly confused. She looked up, with a look that wondered why Peter would even ask that. It was obvious.

"I'm writing down what my father is saying. There might be a chance Spider-Man is a masked villain."

"Wait— what?"

It was the first time she had seen an emotion in Peter that wasn't fear mixed up with embarrassment. He didn't look shy and quiet, he looked angry, or annoyed. She couldn't describe it, but she knew she didn't like it.

"You think Spider-man is a villain?" He asked.

"Of course not! But the police's point of view is important. We can focus on one side of the story here, right? We want to be opened to different possibilities. Spider-Man is a superhero that appeared out of nowhere, you can't deny that."

"Yeah, but— He is not— He is not a villain."

Harper shrugged. "I know, Peter Parker. I'm just being a reporter. Being impartial is part of the job."

Peter didn't look convinced with this answer. "We need to defend Spider-Man. He saved all these people."

"Then let's get prove to make that statement."