[ t w e l v e ]

wrote this chapter at 2 am

┌─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┐
chapter twelve
THE TEAM
└─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┘

┌─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┐chapter twelveTHE TEAM└─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┘

─────❀◦❀◦❀─────

HARPER STARED AT JOHN AS HE WAS TRYING TO TAKE THE WEB OUT OF HIS MOUTH, BUT IT BEING AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK.

"It'll dissolve in two hours," she assured him as she stood up from the chair, looking at the abandoned Fire Department. "I never liked you for Jane anyway," she lied. She did like him for her, but she wasn't going to admit that after being kidnapped. "She always said «Give John a chance. He's a good guy», but I knew there was something off. I wasn't expecting you to be a total sociopath capable of kidnapping me from my own home and keeping me unconscious for three days, but, who cares now? Peter is going to stop Connors while you and me are stuck here."

Harper stared at John as he kept fighting with the web, and that's when she realized it.

"You wouldn't lock yourself up for three straight days with me here," she said, making John look up. "You had to get out eventually. But how did you? The door only opens through the outside..." She looked around before she realized...

The gate.

Fire trucks had to leave through somewhere, and they always kept the gate open so it would leave as quickly as it could.

John had to get out through the gate for the trucks.

"The system didn't burn down in the fire, did it?" She asked John as she walked inside the computer room where all the surveillance team, the dashboard with all the buttons, and the emergency phone was.

She tried using the phone, but the wire was completely cut so it was useless. So, in consequence, she pulled down the lever that said «gate», waiting for this one to open.

Nothing happened.

So, the electric lever was broken, yet they wouldn't let an electricity shortage ruin their chances to get out in case of an emergency. That's why Harper got out of the room and walked towards the gate herself, looking around it.

There she saw it, the steering wheel, resembling the one of a pirate or some sort, holding the chain system that manually opens the gate. She quickly grabbed it by the handle and started pushing, yet it was too heavy.

She only got the gate up a few inches before giving up, letting it fall down. At least three firefighters had to open that gate as a team, there was no way she could do it alone.