[ t w e n t y ]

┌─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┐
chapter twenty
HIDING PLACES
└─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┘

┌─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┐chapter twentyHIDING PLACES └─────❀◦❀◦❀─────┘

─────❀◦❀◦❀─────

HARPER LOOKED AT HER SCREEN BEFORE SHE HAD THE GUTS TO EVEN TYPE IN MAX'S NAME.

Blocked. There was no trace of him.

"How is that even possible?" She tried again, yet it appeared block once again.

She tried again. And as she was about to try once more, Nick's voice alerted her.

"What is security doing here?"

She looked up to see security talking to her supervisor, and she hurried to delete her recent search before standing up from her chai, walking away.

"Miss Cohen!" She heard the security guy call her, yet she was already walking away faster.

Oh, she had to get out. She had to leave. She had to spring away without being completely obvious. She had to...

That's when she tripped with her heel. She knew this was her doom, or it would have been if she hadn't been caught by Peter, who pulled her against his chest.

"Hi," she said, grateful to see it was him.

"Hey," he replied. "What are you doing?"

She knew she didn't have much time so she grabbed him by the hand and drag him towards the first door she saw, both of them quickly getting inside and watching through the little vents of the door the security guard looking around the hallway.

"She's not here," they heard the guard say. "Check another floor." And then he walked away.

Peter turned to look at her. "You are in trouble."

"Yeah," she admitted.

"Who's that guy?"

"Look, yesterday, the engineering lab was opened. Now it's closed, there was an accident, and they are covering it up. And I found out. I connected the dots. That guy from Times Square last night? I met him. He was an electric engineer and he loved Spider-man, by the way. He was like a fanatic."

Peter frowned. "I didn't get love from his last night. More like wanting to kill me with his electricity type of love."

Harper chuckled. "That's actually kinda what it's like to love you." Peter rolled his eyes. "I was searching for him. In the computer. In all the files. He's been erased. He's completely erased."