Part 3

Chapter 3:

As I walked out into the fresh night air I could tell there was a change in subject between the students. By the way they were buzzing with excitement I had a pretty good idea on what it was. The word got out that there was a mandatory ski trip. I wasn't surprise that all the students knew about it, gossip spread around the Academy like wildfire.

 As I walked around the gym to wait for Rose to arrive, I descovered that I didn't have to. She was talking to a red headed boy just in front of the gyms doors. He noticed me first and stared past Rose, causing her to turn  around meeting my eyes. Mason swept an gallant bow. Saying something to Rose before he opened the door and disappeared into the frigid darkness. Rose turned around to join me.

I had a special exercise planned for her today. Although it wasn't at all what she expected. I could see the excitement in her eyes as she took in the scene before us. Practice dummies arranged on the far wall, dummies that looked lifelike. Men and woman who wore ordinary clothes, with rubbery skin and different hair and eye colors. Their expressions ranged from happy to scared to angry. Rose has practiced with the dummies before, using them to work on her kicks and punches. But today she will be doing something entirely different.

I saw her glance down at the stake in my hand. Her eyes eager to hold the weapon.

"Sweet." She breathed. As if in shock.

The stakes wern't wooden like most faerie tales make them up to be. Real stakes were made of silver, and had a hand grip on the bottom, almost like a dagger's. The rest of the stake lost its resemblance from there. Rather than having a flat blade, the stake had a thick, rounded body that narrowed to a point. It was about the size of my forearm, and was heavier than it seemed.

I leaned against the wall. With one hand I tossed the stake in the air, making it spin around in a cartwheel a couple of times before it came back down. Without effort I caught it, hilt first.

Excitement burst through her. "Please tell me I get to learn how to do that today."

Amusement filled me. "You'll be lucky if I let you hold it today." I said as I flipped the stake into the air again. I could see her eyes following it longingly.

After a few protests she finally tossed her backpack on the floor, throwing off her coat in the process and crossed her arms expectantly. She wore loose pants and a hoodie. Her hair had been pulled back into a ponytail. She was dressed in complete guardian uniform.

"You want me to tell you how they work and why I should always be cautious around them." She announced.

I stopped flipping the stake, starting at her in astonishment, how'd she know that?

She laughed. "Come on. You don't think I know how you work by now? We've been doing this for almost three months. You always make me talk safety and responsibility before I can do anything fun."

"I see. Well, I guess you've got it all figured out. By all means, go on with the lesson. I'll just wait over here until you need me again."

Tucking the stake away into my leather sheath that was hanging at my belt I walked away, making myself comfortable against the wall, stuffing my hands into my pockets. Waiting for her to start. She stared at me, confused, yes Rose I am serious. At last she figured out that I wasn't joking. With a shrug she launched into what she knew.

"Silver always has powerful effects on any magical creature--it can help or hurt them if you put enough power into it. These stakes are really hard-core because it takes four different Moroi to make them, and they use each of the elements during the forging." She frowned. "Well, except spirit. So these things are supercharged and are about the only non-decapitating weapon that can do damage to a Strigoi--but to kill them, it has to be through the heart."

"Will they hurt you?"

She shook her head. "No. I mean, well, yeah, if you drive one through my heart it will, but it won't hurt me like it would a Moroi. Scratch one of them with this, and it'll hurt them pretty hard--but not as hard as it'd hit a Strigoi. And they won't hurt humans, either."

She stopped for a moment, staring absentmindedly behind me, most likely at the window. A few moments passed before she continued the lesson. I would occasionally nod or ask a clarifying question. I could tell by the eagerness in her eyes that she wanted to work with the stake badly. Purposely I waited until ten minutes before the end of our session before leading her over to one of the dummies. Who was a man with blond hair and a goatee. I reached down to my sheath, taking out the stake without handing it to Rose.

"Where are you going to put this?" I asked.

"In the heart." She replied irritably. "I already told you that like a hundred times. Can I have it now?"

I smiled down at her. "Where's the heart?" Making a gesture for her to show me.

She gave me a cold glare. I shrugged.

With overdramatic emphasis, she pointed to the left side of the dummy's chest. I shook my head, she was way off.

"That's not where the heart is." I told her.

"Sure it is. People put their hands over their hearts when they say the Pledge of Allegiance or sing the national anthem."

I stared at her. Shocked that that's were she got the idea from.

She turned back to the dummy, staring at it for a while. Finally she tapped the center of the dymmy's chest.

"Is it here?"

I arched an eyebrow at her. "I don't know. Is it?" She was closer but her uncertainty wasn't enough to give her the stake.

"That's what I'm asking you!"

"You shouldn't have to ask me. Don't you all have to take physiology?"

"Yeah. Junior year. I was on 'vacation', remember?" She pointed at the stake that I was still holding. "Can I please touch it now?"

I flipped the stake again, it caught the light, flashing brightly before it disappeared into the sheath. "I want you to tell me where the heart is the next time we meet. Exactly where. And I want to know what's in the way of it too."

She gave me an even icer glare than earlier, before storming off to her next class.

I hadn't meant to be so cruel but that's what had to be done. I had to be a tough love mentor. I had to try to forget her. Even if it was nearly impossible. I had to try. As I walked across campus the same words flashed through my mind. It's the right thing.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for reading this chapter! I'm sorry that its so short this time, but it's only because I'm on vacation and don't have much time to write. I hope you guys liked this short and sweet chapter (: I want to say thanks to Elfina01 for correcting me on the type of stake the dhampir use. It in fact is not steel but silver. Haha anyways thanks for reading! Please comment and vote!

<3LittleDhampir18