Part 11

Chapter 11:

When I finally arrived back at my dorm I spent the rest of Christmas packing and getting ready for the ski trip. Even though Rose would be going, I couldn’t help but feel that this trip would be unforgettable.

We left late on the twenty-sixth. I—as well as several guardians—had arrived before the students. I took a seat by the window, and waited for the others to board. I pulled out my favorite weathered and tattered western book, and as I did so déjà vu hit me. Sending me back to the first day I had met Rose.

She and Lissa had ran away from the school; and it took two years to get them back. We had found them in Portland living off campus. When we had finally caught both her and Lissa we brought them back to the Academy on the same exact plane.

I shook the memory from my head. Not wanting anything to do with Rose. I must move on.

Just as I was getting to my favorite part of the book someone sat down next to me. I looked and wasn’t surprised to see Tasha sitting in the now occupied seat. I smiled at her, glad to have her around.

“Good morning Belikov.” Tasha said to me as she placed her hand on top of mine. I didn’t cringe away from it either. I welcomed that hand; it felt so right against mine and made my heart race faster.

“Morning.” I said and smiled back. That smile faltered when Rose walked past us, sitting next to Mason; diagonally from where Tasha and I were seated.

I shifted uncomfortably. Tasha noticed this and started to rub my hand soothingly. “You alright?”

I tore my eyes from Rose and focused on Tasha’s blue eyes, which were full of concern. I can’t let her know about Rose, I had to protect her at all costs; I won’t let Rose get in between us.

I smiled at her, hoping it would reassure her. “I’m great.” I said swallowing the lie. I knew I had to forget Rose. But seeing her with Mason was just too much for me.

When the plane finally took off I settled down in my seat. After a while Tasha had dozed off, laying her head on my chest as we made our way to the ski lodge. The smell of her hair brought back good memories, ones that I wanted to pick up from.

 As we landed I reminded myself that we were all here because of a tragedy, that there were Strigoi and humans out there who might strike again.

The resort was gorgeous. It was built to look like a log cabin, but no pioneer cabin could have held hundreds of people or had such luxury accommodations. Three stories of gleaming, golden-colored wood sat among lofty pine trees. The windows were tall and gracefully arched, tinted for Moroi convenience. Crystal lanterns—electric, but shaped to look like torches—hung around all the entrances, giving the entire building a glittering, almost bejeweled look.

Mountains—which my enhanced eyes could just barely make out in the night—surrounded us. One side of the grounds led off to the skiing area, complete with steep hills and moguls, as well as lifts and tow ropes. Another side of the lodge had an ice rink, near that smooth hills were reserved for sledding.

Inside, all sorts of arrangements had been made to cater to Moroi needs. Feeders stayed on hand; ready to serve twenty-four hours day. The slopes ran on a nocturnal schedule. Wards and guardians circled the entire place. Everything a living vampire could want.

The main lobby had a cathedral ceiling and an enormous chandelier hanging over it. Its floor was intricately tiled marble, and the front desk stayed open around the clock, ready to indulge our every need. The rest of the lodge, hallways and lounges, had a red, black, and gold color scheme. The deep shade of red dominated over the other hues. Mirrors and art adorned the walls, and little ornamental tables had been placed here and there. They held vases of pale green, purple spotted orchids that filled the air with a spicy scent.

The room I shared with another guardian was bigger than my dorm room. It had the same rich colors as the rest of the lodge. The carpet was so plush and deep that I sank into the softness. We had king-size beds, covered in feather duvets and set with so many pillows that a person could get lost in all of them. French doors opened on to a spacious balcony. There was a hot tub on the far end of the room that would make up for the cold.

There was a jetted marble bathtub, plasma-screen T.V. A basket of chocolate and other snacks.

A knock on my door pulled me from the luxurious room. When I answered it Tasha stood there smiling at me. “Well? Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

I laughed at her. “Yes, please come in.”

She stepped in my room and sat immediately on one of the beds. We stared at each other for the longest time, not saying a thing. Finally she broke the silence. “Would you like to go somewhere?”

I smiled at her, relieved that she had asked that. It had been so long since I had felt something for her. And I didn’t want to mess it up this time, I won’t mess it up. “I would love to.”

After a good twenty minutes of debating we finally decided to go ice-skating. We grabbed a pair of skates from the lodge and headed out to the rink.

Tasha immediately took my hand when our skates hit the ice. Although it was more out of affection than it was safety. She was a great skater, better than me. And as we skated around for a few hours her feet finally gave out under her.

I caught her with guardian like reflexes. She wrapped her arms around my neck and stared deeply into my eyes. I smiled down at her, but didn’t let go. I didn’t want to; nor did I intend to either. She must have had the same idea because she snuggled into my chest and sighed. “Oh Dimka, how I’ve missed you.”

I stroked her hair, it wasn’t as soft as I would have preferred but it was dark and I loved dark hair. “I’ve missed you too.”

And it was then that I realized I was telling the truth. I had missed her, since the day she came to the Academy I felt as though the part of me that had been missing was whole again.

Finally I let her go, lifting her up so she could regain her balance. The sun was going to rise in a few hours and I was tired from the trip here. Tasha agreed and followed me inside, although we didn’t hold hands it was still nice to be close to her.

Later that night I fell asleep not having to worry about my troubled love life. I had found a new one, and this time, it was going to work…

________________________________________________________________________________

Okay now Tasha really pisses me off. Having her hands all over Dimitri, and then the ice-skating rink is what got me. Oh how I wish to kill her for that. Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you liked this chapter!

<3LittleDhampir18