Part 13

Chapter 13:

People stood up and shouted, everyone wanted their opinion to be heard. As it was, most of them held the same view: Tasha was wrong. They told her she was crazy. They told her that in sending out Moroi and dhampirs to fight the Strigoi, she’d be expediting the extinction of both races. They even said that Tasha was siding with the Strigoi.

I stood up at the sound of the Moroi making Tasha sound like a traitor. “You might as well leave. Nothing useful’s going to happen now.” I told both Rose and Mason.

Mason and Rose stood up, but I shook my head when they started to follow me out.

“You go on.” Mason said. “I want to check something out.”

I could hear Rose pause before she said over the rising noise. “Good luck.”

It was surprising that I hadn’t talked to Rose in a while. Stepping out into the hall with her, it felt like it had been years. Being with Tasha had been amazing, but seeing Rose, standing next to me, made my heart beat faster, my knees go weak, and my body shudder with excitement. Something Tasha would never bring out in me.

I found myself wishing that I had said no to Tasha’s offer. I could never be happy with her like I could be with Rose. But then again, that won’t be for another few years, and my heart ached for how long I had to wait. Even though I vowed to leave Rose alone with Mason.

Rose put a hand to her hip as she looked up at me. “Shouldn’t you be in there protecting Tasha? Before the mob gets her? She’s going to get in big trouble for using magic like that.”

I raised an eyebrow, curious what road she was taking me down. “She can take care of herself.”

“Yeah, yeah, because she’s a badass karate magic user. I get all that. I just figured since you’re going to be her guardian and all…”

This took me aback. Not to mention how calm she talked about it. Still I had no idea how she knew about that. I wanted to keep it a secret from her, until we got back from the trip. “Where did you hear that?”

“I have my sources.” She stated matter-of-factly. “You’ve decided to, right? I mean, it sounds like a good deal, seeing as she’s going to give you fringe benefits.”

That hit home. “What happens between her and me is none of your business.” I snapped.

Rose’s face fell, hurt in her eyes. But the hot tempered Rose bounced back a second later giving me a level and calm look. “Well, I’m sure you guys’ll be happy together. She’s just your type, too---I know how much you like women who aren’t your own age. I mean, she’s what, six years older than you? Seven? And I’m seven years younger than you.”

I could feel my heart tighten at the cruelness of her words. I still cared for her yes. But she was way out of line. “Yes. You are. And every second this conversation goes on, you only prove how young you really are.”

Her jaw dropped at that. And when I saw the astonishment flash in her eyes I was full of regret. I realized how harsh I had been to her. But I couldn’t let that show. As well as my undying love for her. I knew I had to forget her, and I didn’t come this far to let her bring me down with her.

“Little dhampir.” A voice suddenly said nearby.

Adrian Ivashkov stood behind Rose, she turned around and he smiled at her. He nodded to me out of respect but I didn’t nod back, he may be close to my age, but that didn’t stop me from disliking him for his past.

He held up his hands in a casual gesture. “I don’t want to interrupt or anything. Just wanted to talk to you when you have time.”

I looked at Adrian disapproving. If there was one person I’d fight for Rose it was him. Rose must have seen this because she gave him one of her best smiles and walked over to him, putting a hand on his arm.