Part 9

Chapter 9:

The rest of the day consisted of me hiding in my dorm. Mainly from Tasha. I needed time to reflect on my feelings for her as well as Rose.

Rose was dangerous, I couldn't love her without it ending badly for the both of us. Our feelings for each other was also distracting. And a distraction like that could lead to death or worse. And I couldn't afford loosing that concentration. Neither could she. Maybe in five more years Rose and I can settle down and finally stop putting our feelings aside, but for right now she needed a mentor that was strict and focused. Not some love crazed teacher that couldn't control his feelings for his student.

Tasha on the other hand, I could have a relationship with, and it would be safe. No one would question it. She's also of age and would provide a great distraction from Rose. But that was the problem; I couldn't just leave Rose for Tasha, not only would it make me a jerk, but it would also break Rose's heart.

I was positive in the beginning that I could hurt Rose and it would be okay. But now I wasn't so sure. Rose didn't deserve such punishment. Yet it would be the only solution to get her off my back and get her to focus. I hated being mean, but at the same time all I could think of was it's the right thing.

So I went to bed that night trying to come up with ideas on how to get Rose away from me, but at the same time without hurting her.

And sadly... I came up with one solution...

The next day I found Rose laughing and smiling with Mason. Careful as to not let my feelings over take me I made my way towards her. Mason wandered off just as I showed up for our practice. As we walked towards the gym I could feel Rose's mood shift. As she went out of her way to avert her gaze. Although she didn't know that I knew why.

We returned to the training room with the dummies, and I told her that I simply wanted her to practice the maneuvers from two days ago. She went loose then, punching and stabbing them with the stake I had given her. And she was giving them her all; as if they were real Strigoi. I let her go, knowing that she was in alot of stress and needed to work it out. I sat back and watched her, occasionally critiquing her technique and offering suggestions for new tactics.

"Your hair's in the way." I said at one point. "Not only are you blocking your peripheral vision, you're running the risk of letting your enemy get a handhold."

"If I'm actually in a fight, I'll wear it up." She grunted as she shoved the stake neatly up between the dummy's "ribs." She added a little more force then needed in the last staking. "I'm just wearing it down today, that's all."

I could hear the lie in her voice. And knew that I had to calm her down before she really attacked someone with the stake. "Rose." I said warningly. Ignoring me she plunged again. I raised my voice, making it sharper. "Rose. Stop."

She backed away from the dummy, her breathing labored. Her back hit the wall then. With nowhere to go, she looked away from me, directing her eyes toward the ground. Hiding her face.

"Look at me." I ordered.

"Dimitri--"

"Look at me."

Rose knew she couldn't refuse a direct order. So slowly she turned towards me, still tilting her head slightly down so the hair hung over the sides of her face. Rising from my chair, I walked over and stood before her.

Still avoiding my eyes I reached up to brush her hair away. But then stopped, remembering my self control; if I touched her hair all that hard work of staying in control would collapse, and I would give in to her. Which was the exact thing I was trying to avoid.