Part 10

Chapter 10:

I left the gym that day angry and confused. What Rose had done was unacceptable. I had called later that night telling her that we needed to cancel her next two trainings because of the ski trip. But really I just wanted to get away from her. I had to regain my control back. And I vowed that night never to let my feelings slip like that again.

Yet until that day I hadn’t realized just how much I had missed kissing her. The way her lips felt against mine: soft and desirable. The way her hair had felt between my fingers, silky and smooth and oh so beautiful. And the way she kissed me. How much desire and hunger that kiss had held was breathtaking. I’d give anything to do it again and…

I stopped in mid-thought. Knowing what I had just done was wrong. I knew I had to forget Rose. Forget her and what she does to me. Forget the way she makes my body tremble when we’re touching. The way she clouds up my mind whenever she’s near. But how am I supposed to forget her after all that she’s done to me?

As I made my way across the campus’ grounds I tried to clear my head of Rose. My mind drifted off to Tasha. She had came up to me that night I had fled the gym, asking if I wanted to attend a Christmas brunch she was hosting in an elegant parlor in the Academy’s guest quarters. That’s where I was headed to now.

I said yes, not only because I was starting to like her; but because this would provide a good opportunity to push Rose out of my head. And Tasha was a good distraction.

Lots of group activities and parties were occurring throughout the school. As they always did every year. Only this year, there happened to be more parties because of the Badica accident. Every child’s family was here to escort them to the ski lodge.

And because of that, it had caused Tasha’s presence to be a disturbance. People either secretly stared or went out of their way to avoid her. Sometimes she would challenge them. Sometimes she would lie low. Today, she’d chosen to stay out of the other royal’s way and simply enjoy a small, private party of her own with those who didn’t shun her.

Rose had been invited to the gathering, and a bit of my resolve faltered when I saw her. And looking into those deep eyes I could tell she felt the same as her eyes lingered on my attire. It was different from my normal wear. I had tied my hair at the back of my neck, my attempt at making it neat. I wore my usual jeans and leather boots, but instead of a T-shirt or thermal shirt, I had on a finely knit black sweater; that I had bought just for the occasion.

To my surprise Rose had kept to herself around me. This was unbelievable, considering her usual impulsive nature. In return I didn’t go out of my way to talk to her. That kiss was unforgivable, and I didn’t want anything to do with Rose, because of that.

Instead I made conversation with Tasha. This wasn’t all that hard. And while talking to her I could feel Rose’s eyes like thorns in my back.

“Five?” I asked Tasha in surprise. We had been discussing our dear old friend’s children. “I hadn’t heard that.”

Tasha nodded. “It’s insane. I swear, I don’t think his wife’s had more than six months off between kids. She’s short, too—so she just gets wider and wider.”

I couldn’t help but feel sympathy for the mother. “When I first met him, he swore he didn’t even want kids.”

Tasha’s eyes widened with excitement. “I know! I can’t believe it. You should see him now. He just melts around them. I can’t even understand him half the time. I swear, he speaks more baby talk than English.”

The thought of him doing that brought a smile to my lips that I didn’t try to hide. “Well…children do that to people.”

“I can’t imagine it happening to you,” She laughed. “You’re always so stoic. Of course…I suppose you’d be doing baby talk in Russian, so no one would ever know.”

We both laughed at the thought of that. After a few moments Tasha lowered her voice to almost a whisper, so the others wouldn’t hear. “I have been meaning to ask you this for a while Dimka. I had talked to Janine about it and she approved.”

I gave her a smile, and kept my voice low as well. “And what might that be?”

She took a deep breath and looked at me seriously, for the first time today. “I want you to be my guardian.”

I stared at her dumbly. Of course she wanted me to be her guardian. We were great friends, and she didn’t have protection. I nodded. “Of course, but I’m assigned to Liss—Princess Dragomir. I can’t just leave her…” I trailed off.

My chest bubbled with nervousness and excitement all at once. If Tasha wanted me as a guardian that would provide a distraction and a way to get away from Rose. I could leave her in the hands of that Mason boy and she would never be hurt by me again. But then again, that would give Rose full responsibility of Lissa, but as I thought about it more and more I was starting to consider her request.

After a few minutes I cleared my throat and tried to keep the nervousness out of my voice. “I’ll consider your request. I have to see if I can make the arrangement.” I lied.

I couldn’t just leave Rose and Lissa just yet. In a couple of years when they had graduated then I might consider it. But then again, they were in a school full of guardians and all the protection a Moroi could need.

She smiled at me sweetly. “No pressure, just something to think about.” She was about to say something else, but stopped when she looked up at the door. “Janine!”

Rose’s mother stood there, looking as stiff and impassive as ever.

“Sorry I’m late.” She said. “I had business to take care of.”

Usual Hathaway. Always working and never leaving time for herself.

I stole a glance at Rose then. Her face was a bright red as she took in her mother. And as she did her face twisted into anger as she continued to stare down her mom.

Janine ignored her daughter and sat down with us and soon joined in the conversation, but only talked about guardian business. Which I didn’t mind, but Rose looked like she was about to scream. The Badica attack was on everyone’s mind, and this drove her into a conversation about some similar fight she’d been in. Mason leaned in taking in every word.

“Well, decapitations aren’t as easy as they seem” she started. “You’ve go to get through the spinal cord and tendons.”

Mason’s eyes lit up. “What’s the best weapon to do it with?”

Janine considered. Although I already knew the answer. “An axe. You can get more weight behind it.” She made a swinging motion by way of illustration.

“Cool.” He said. “Man, I hope they let me carry an axe.”

The thought of Mason getting excited about action made me smile. He was going to be one good guardian when he grew up; I knew this only because I was just like him at that age.

Eventually the gathering dispersed. Christian and Lissa went off to do their own thing, while Tasha and I walked, catching up with one another.

She had asked again about me being her guardian. And although I gave her the same answer she still seemed to push the subject. I knew I should take that as a sign to get away from Rose. To never have to deal with her, and breaking her heart. To never have to hurt her again.

Even though it’d kill me to leave Rose, I knew I had to do it. For both of us. She needed to focus on school and protecting Lissa; and I was just a huge distraction waiting to happen. And as I stared into Tasha's eyes the words it's the right thing flashed behind my vision.

The thought of giving Rose her freedom made me smile. And before we retired to our dorms I gave her a hug. “I’ve been thinking… about your offer and… I’ll do it…”

Never again Rose will you be heartbroken.

________________________________________________________________________________

Grr I'm hating Tasha even more now. The stupid bitch.. Haha anyways thanks for reading and I hope this really captivates all of you! We'll be seeing a lot of Tasha in the next coming chapters...... Yay......

<3LittleDhampir18