Part 12

Chapter 12:

The next day I got called in early to help guard the ski resort. Which I didn’t really mind, except for the fact that it meant I couldn’t see Tasha. My mind was lingering on last night. The way she felt right in my arms, the way she sent trembles in my body whenever she laughed. And that hair, which was dark and thick. It wasn’t as soft as Rose’s but that didn’t stop me from wanting to run my fingers through it.

As I arrived at the west side of the gate, three guardians stood there like statues. The night air was chilly and it was a wonder how they could stand there without shivering. I nodded to one of them, giving him the okay to leave.

I took his place in the snow, facing the ski slopes without saying a word to the other guardians. I had never seen them before, and they didn’t look all that friendly either. One was tall with bright blond hair. That was so light it could easily be mistaken as white if not for the snow surrounding him. The other had dark skin and hair. He was very short, although I wouldn’t doubt he could kick someone’s ass as easily as me.

As the day wore on so did the snow. It drifted slowly in the wind, and as the lamp’s light hit the small flakes one would think it was light out. I gazed beyond the vast white land towards the ski slopes. My eyes lingering on two skiers.

They were going down the slow and easy slopes, and by the looks of their height and muscles I could tell they were dhampirs. Only they were much too old to be going down easy slopes like that.

I saw a flash of red hair as one of the skiers out of the two slid under the light. And immediately I knew who the red hair belonged to. Mason.

The dhampir that followed him was a girl no doubt. But even my vast eyesight could barely make out her face. Until she too skied under the lamp post’s light, revealing herself to me.

The dark hair was unmistakable, as well as her laugh. And I felt my numb body tense up as I took Rose in. Just the sight of seeing her was too much for me. And I recapped on the last time I had seen her on the plane, with Mason.

 She looked so happy with Mason. Laughing and punching him playfully in the arm. Something even I couldn’t bring out without getting us in trouble. I despised Mason for that. He could laugh and play with her whenever he pleased, and I had to stand here and watch her; watch her fall in love with other boys and leave me behind.

Which was the exact same thing I was doing with Tasha.

Maybe it was best to leave Rose for Tasha. Since that’s what she had in mind with Mason. It could work; I could avoid her now without feeling guilty for doing so. The thought of this brought a smile to my lips. Never again will Rose have to be alone, she has Mason now.

After a while Rose and Mason walked back towards the ski lodge. They were about to open the door when a snowball flung at Mason, hitting him in the face.

Rose turned around, the way she always had in the gym when I was about to attack. Her muscles were tight ready to lunge at any threat thrown at her.

But there wasn’t one, only sounds of cheers from the opposite side of the ski lodge. I repressed the urge to smile as a fight broke out.

 Snowball fights weren’t allowed in the Academy, as well as here, but they were having fun. And if an activity brought a smile to Rose’s face then I approved of it. Right or wrong.

One of the guardians picked up his walkie-talkie ready to report the problem. I had to hold back the urge to jump him as I carefully placed a hand on his shoulder.

Shaking my head I explained, “let them have their fun, they never do.”

The guardian gave me a wary look but finally dismissed it and put his radio back in his pocket. A few minutes passed before someone came out and yelled at the kids for being disrespectful. Laughing and covered in snow Rose and Mason started to walk back to the ski lodge hand in hand. But not before Rose leaned in and kissed him.