Part 16

Chapter 16:

I paced the floor while Lissa and Janine watched me. I couldn’t believe that Rose and the rest had managed to get away with so much in so little time without getting the slightest attention. I wanted to jump into action, wanted to go and find Rose to see that she were safe. But knew I couldn’t.

The look on Janine’s face told me she wanted to do the same thing. She shook her head, knowing what I wanted. “We can’t Belikov. We need to wait until there’s more information and the government approves.” She rubbed her arm, looking as worried as a mother of a missing child should be. “It wouldn’t be hard if there weren’t Moroi involved.”

I nodded. The Guardian Council may let us go, but the Moroi Government had other arrangements. They wanted more information. More than we could give at the moment. I sighed heavily. “I can’t just stay here and wait.”

Janine strode up to me then. “Maybe we should take this conversation elsewhere.” She threw her head back in the direction of Lissa. I nodded. From the look of determination on Lissa’s face, I knew we didn’t have much time before another Moroi went missing. And this time for good, considering how good Lissa is at compulsion.

We left Lissa shortly after making sure she was okay enough to stay in the lodge. She looked at me like I was an idiot. “I’m not going anywhere; I’d just make a mess of things, and get Rose in more trouble than she already is.”

I nodded, she was very smart. And as I closed the door to her room I silently wished some of her cleverness had rubbed off on Rose.

A few minutes later Janine and I had reported what happened with the other novices and Moroi to the guardians. They were as mad as I had been. Wishing they could do something, but knowing they couldn’t.

“Does anyone know who can help find them?” I asked as the day wore on and the sky turned a dark blue, a warning that night was approaching. We were running out of time. Rose could be anywhere.

They all shook their heads. I grunted and clutched my hands into fists. Trying to regain my self control. Rose could be hurt right now, or worse… and the others... they don’t’ stand a chance. I’ve seen them fight compared to Rose and they were nowhere near ready to take on a Strigoi.

Through all the mess and commotion that was going on I barely even noticed a sober Adrian. He stood next to Tasha looking just as concerned as all the rest of the Moroi. Which made some anger spark inside of me. He was only concerned for Rose.

Lissa made her way through the crowed and up to Adrian. He glanced down at her and smiled. Maybe she didn’t know anything, but if Rose and Adrian were together…

I was in front of him before I could even finish the thought. He looked up at me surprised and cocked his head to the side. “You’re a little anxious aren’t you?” He smiled at me, showing all teeth, even his fangs.

Most Moroi kept their fangs hidden from the rest of the world. They learned to eat around them and to smile without showing too much. But some, like Adrian and Tasha, had no problem flashing them around.

I looked at him evenly in the eye. Which made him flinch as his smile faltered. “Shouldn’t you? Rose is missing.”

He shrugged. “Yeah, I know. I’ve been trying to reach her but she’s not responding I think---“

It took all my effort not to grab hold of his shirt. “You what?”

He looked surprised at my sudden outburst but quickly dismissed it. “I’m a spirit user.” He glanced down at Lissa who was still standing by his side. She looked back up at me sheepishly. “I can walk in people’s dreams. Ask them information.” He shrugged like it was no big deal. “The works.”