Part 14

Chapter 14:

I left Tasha just in time to take my rightful place in the back at Priscilla’s banquet. It was a formal royal dinner, out of respect of the queen.

I reached the banquet room before anyone else did, well besides the guardians. The room was done in all silver and blue. Midnight blue silk cloths covered the tables, shiny and smooth. Sconces of beeswax candles hung all over the walls, and a fireplace decorated with stained glass crackled away in one corner. The effect was a spectacular panorama of color and light, dizzying to the eye. In the corner, a slim Moroi woman set up her station to play cello music.

Eventually all the royals arrived. And among them were Rose and Lissa. My breath caught in my throat as I took in Rose’s attire. She was wearing Tasha’s dress that had been given to her at Christmas. The shade of red was a killer on her, bringing out her skin tone and dark hair. It was long, Asian style dress with flowers embroidered into the silk. The high neck and long hem covered a lot of skin, but the material clung to her features making her look all the more amazing.

Lissa too looked just as good. She wore a deep purple dress. It was sleeveless and made of satin. The tiny amethyst-like crystals set into the straps sparkled against her pale skin. She wore her hair up in a loose, artfully styled bun.

I stood in the back watching her and Rose as they ate their dinner on china plates. After the plates had been cleared from the table Rose and Lissa socialized with the mingling Moroi in the room. Lissa flittered around the room smiling and putting on her charm, while Rose followed her like a lost puppy. I couldn’t help but chuckle at that. The tables had turned on both of them tonight.               Which didn’t surprise me, considering that Rose was the only dhampir attending the ceremony.

They traveled over to a group, one that got Rose talking. Closer observation told me that this was a group that belonged to Adrian’s dad. All my blissfulness and interest with Rose dried up. And a short time later Adrian showed up next to her. Once again I found myself fighting for self control. She seemed drawn to him, but not in the way she was to me.

As the conversation went on Rose shifted uncomfortably when he leaned down and whispered in her ear. Making her blush a red shade similar to the dress she wore. She took a sip of her red champagne smiling up at Adrian. I silently prayed that she wouldn’t get drunk. Because then, Adrian would take that to his advantage and I’d have to step in; witnesses or not. He stepped closer to her, obviously noticing the alcohol in her hand.

“Rose!” Janine strode towards her daughter angry as hell. And for once in my life I was thankful for Janine’s hot temper.

 “What do you think you’re doing?” She demanded. Her voice was so loud that I could hear every word.

Rose seemed appalled, as she tried to explain, but her mother cut her off.

“Excuse us, Lord Ivashkov,” she growled. Then as if Rose was a five year old, she grabbed her daughter by the arm and jerked her out of the room.

I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but the harsh sounds coming from Janine it didn’t sound good. Slowly and unexpectedly I scooted closer to the door.

“…why are you talking to me like I’m a child?” Rose’s rage was crystal clear in her voice.

“Because you act like one.” Her mother replied. It was exactly what I had told her.

Rose’s voice dropped an octave. “So you’re going to send me to my room now?”

“No rose.” Janine sounded beaten, tired. “You don’t have to go to your room, but don’t go back in there, either. Hopefully you didn’t draw too much attention.”