Lady Kiara

A month ago

"A pleasant weather, indeed." Countess Daisy Douglas stared up at the sky as they ascended the hill.

"Wish the occasion was just as pleasant." Kiara mumbled back to her mother from behind.

The Countess could do nothing but sigh. She twisted her head back to see her daughter sat atop the white horse, face twisted in an pained expression. She faced forward, eyeing the top of the hill, where the body of the deceased was taken to be preserved until the funeral.

"You have been here before, sweetie?"

"Yes, ma."

"How long till we reach the hilltop?"

"At this speed? A whole day."

"Matthew was riding like a madman. He must be there already."

"Yes, ma." She nodded but then looked sharply at her mother. "But we are not rushing. We will not be rushing. Neither we will ride in the night. This forest can be dangerous. We will set up tents if we do not get there by dusk."

"As uptight as your father." Daisy rolled her eyes at her daughter.

"You are too reckless."

"Somebody in the household needs to possess a strong liver."

"Need I remind you how you trembled at the sight of a bug last summer during our excursion to the western forests."

"Bugs could be poisonous."

"It was a ladybug."

"Ladybugs can be poisonous."

"...no?"

"Yes. Any evidence you have that can prove otherwise?"

Kiara shook her head. There was no point attempting at convincing her mother. She was a renowned prosecutor for a reason. They carried forth in silence. After a while, the sunlight began reddening as the sky dimmed.

"I will ride ahead," Lady Kiara said to her mother. She turned towards the guards and her lady in waiting riding behind them. "Lea, Al- you both will stay behind with the Countess. Jenna and Annette, come with the hay and ropes."

The three charged forward, leaving the group behind. Soon, they found a relatively flat land. By the time the rest of the group arrived at the spot, fire was lit and hay heaped for the horses to feed. They spent the night beneath the canopy of the forest. It was a familiar place for Lady Kiara. She had taken part in many excursions and operations in this area and the surrounding mountains.

Changes, she thought to herself, so sudden.

She was sitting below a cedar tree. Her back resting against it's trunk. The fire burned few feet away in front of her. Soldiers and maids were fast asleep inside the tents. She could hear the snores. As loud as they were, Lady Kiara knew not to blame the poor horses for them. Lea was infamous for the hellish sounds and smells she generated at night.

Just a week ago, I was surveying alongside Duke Charles. She closed her eyes. Tomorrow, I would be attending his funeral.

A lump formed in her throat. Her chest tightened. She breathed in shakily and—

Something was behind her.

Lady Kiara tensed. She kept her eyes closed, so as not to give away that she knew of the presence behind her. Hands crept inconspicuously, inching towards the sword on the ground, beside her legs. The twigs snapped couple of feet behind her and she wondered if it was an animal or some other being craving it's demise. Her grip at her sword tightened as she readied herself to unsheathe it at any moment—