Chapter- 7

Misty was shaking on the ground.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she rubbed her hands in front of her and bowed back and forth while kneeling, seeking forgiveness.

Disrespect was never taken lightly.

Ada, on the other hand, stared outside the window. The red vines on her palms had finally disappeared. She let loose her clenched fists. Nonetheless, her nose still tingled, the foul stench of blood burning it.

What henceforth? Her mind raced.

She had reacted in haste and now, as she heard the violent sobbing beside her, Ada realized at what level this would be misinterpreted.

And what was that even?

She had acted so quickly and the creature had reacted with the double fold of her swiftness that she was not exactly able to decipher what it was. There were, in fact, many creatures which looked so much alike that it was hard to spot the difference between them at first glance.

Was it a ghoul with no cloak? Or worse, was it a Sut?

Ada gulped at the possibility of the creature being the latter one.

A flick on her forehead made her flinch and look up at the Lady's face, twisted into an annoyed expression.

"You have nothing to say?"

The noble woman was drenched. The droplets of murky water trickled down her forehead and face, dropping in fast succession as they reached her chin and the ends of her voluminous, loose hair. The gown she was wearing had patches where mud water had been soaked in. There were patches which were lighter than the others. Ada noted they were, however, slowly deepening in hue as the fabric soaked in the water.

Ada licked her lips. She had so much to say. But she could not. If she were alone, she could have made any excuse.

But with Misty with her, that would bore nothing for her but the title of liar because the creature was invisible to Misty.

She heard the Lady huff.

"Y—" 

A scream.

Ada was quick to stand up and whip her head towards the wide-open door.

Is the horrid creature still here?

Or did someone discover the bodies?

She fisted her skirt and took a step forward but stopped as the Lady ordered, "Stop. Stay here, both of you. I will deal with you when I come back."

No, she can't!

Danger, danger, danger!

"My Lady—" Ada started, trying her best to keep the panic off her voice.

But the Lady was already out of the door, slamming it shut behind her and locking it from outside.

Ada took in a sharp breath; her eyes widened in the state of distress. The wailing girl on the ground did not help her situation much either.

She wanted to comfort her but feared that she would lash out and blame her for her current state. So, Ada trod a few steps away from Misty and sat down near the foot of the bed with her knees tucked to her chest.

--------------------

This one was my favorite gown!  Kiara thought to herself as she locked the door.

What were they even doing in my room?

She quickly spun on her heels and her first instinct was to look for her guards. A frown marred her face as she realised they were not there.