Chapter- 21

A/N: This is a heavily unedited chapter :) Also, we are slowly moving towards the chapters with lots of  my personal favorite interactions and I can't wait to share them with you guys. Though, updates will be a little sporadic because I need to edit the previous chapters as well and sharpen the characters, their dynamics, dialogues as well as grammar. For now, however, I shall proceed with the new chapter :) Thanks for reading XD

"In a day or two, they are going to burn the witches." The soldier said as he sat down on the broken chair, resting his sword on his lap. Their shift had just ended and they were waiting for their fellow guards to bring something to eat from the kitchen.

The other soldier sitting across him on the table raised an eyebrow at him.

"You sound so sure." He stopped for a moment, his eyes trained on the table thoughtfully. "No way!" He exclaimed, his eyes big as the saucers. "Are you going to be the in-charge of these witch trials, Ralph?"

Ralph's eyes widened. He stood up from the chair and pressed his hands against Tim's mouth.

"Speak low! I am not even supposed to tell anyone," he whispered angrily, "These things ain't for the world to know."

"These trials ain't legal." Tim shoved him back.

Ralph shrugged before patting his chest. "I've been selected as the in charge of the group which will conduct the trial in the village nearby. It's Ruck, just a little before Johannes. Will be leaving a day after tomorrow."

"Who is leaving for where?" Jale opened the door. He was holding a tray full of some chopped fruits, soup and buns. Sam followed him with two jars of ale and four brass glasses.

They placed the tray and jars on the bench, proceeding to clear the table from its contents.

"We are having trials, in a village just a little before Johannes."

"You said it ain't for the world to know." Tim raised an eyebrow.

"And I am in-charge. I will grill them hot and sweet." Ralph laughed, ignoring Tim's comment, his pale red eyes shining. He looked behind Jale and Sam and asked, "Where's Matt?"

"He'll be late." Sam answered. Picking up a piece of apple, he continued, "You three were stationed out, you mustn't know." He rubbed his hands on his breeches and whispered, "Marquess Edith Monroe has arrived."

The three men collectively gasped and looked at each other wide-eyed.

"Marquess?"

"When?

"Why?"

Their words tuned gibberish and Sam rolled his eyes. "I'll tell you if you let me sit." He huffed.

Ralph gave up his sit and ushered the man to sit. Tim poured ale for him. Taking a swig, Sam wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and leaned forward, his hands on his knees.

"He arrived only a while ago. Matt was ordered to bring him some prisoners to drink from. I saw him and three others take seven to the Marquess. You guys, I heard he is here for the wedding."

"Whose wedding?" Ralph asked with a confused frown.

Tim slapped the back of his head. "Young Master and the Lady's wedding, who else? How did you got chosen as the in-charge?"

"Of course, because of all the hay stacked in his head. They could use that for burning." Sam snickered.

Ralph scowled and backed off from the group. "So they're really getting married?"