Chapter- 8

Misty's cries seeking forgiveness had reduced to the mess of snot and wet face by the time the door opened and the Lady walked in.

Ada gave Misty a side glance. She would have called her pathetic if it were not for her own legs trembling like a newborn calf as she stood up. Even in her scared disposition, she instantly noticed the Lady looked paler but her movements sharper. Her eyes were focused on the ground and her jaw ticked. Walking towards the bed, she sat down with a deep breath, running her fingers on her jaw in hopes of unclenching it.

Ada had moved away from the bed and stood near Misty who was still kneeling.

Profound silence.

After what seemed like an eternity, Lady Kiara asked. "I forgot to ask your names."

"Forgive us for not introducing ourselves sooner!" Misty hollered, lowering her head and touching it to the ground. She lightly tugged at Ada's skirt, who was staring at the Lady's face.

Ada reluctantly knelt, bowing her head. She guessed it was the Lady's guards whose blood she smelled, otherwise, they would have been standing at their posts. And with her mouth set in an unforgiving scowl, her bright round face fused with frightening coldness, her doe eyes burning with the bloodlust of a tiger— Ada precisely predicted the Lady was not the kind to dissolve in tears when tragedy strikes. She was the kind who was tenfold acerbic then the misfortune and the kind who pushes back with twenty fold vigor.

"Stand up. Tell me your names already. Blonde one?"

Ada shuddered at the crisp, acidic undertone of her voice.

"Ada, my Lady." Ada stated with her head low and voice lower. Nobility knowing a servant's name rarely ever favored the latter.

"Misty, my Lady."

"Ada and Misty." The Lady repeated, "Which one of you held the bucket?"

Ada's breath hitched. Misty was quick to rat her out.

"It was Ada, my Lady!" She cried and sank down to her knees quite dramatically.

Ada saw Lady Kiara raise an eyebrow at the antics before shifting her eyes to her.

Unable to keep the eye contact for more than a second, Ada shut her eyes and fumbled with her eye patch nervously. She gulped as her throat went dry and her body heated up.

"I had nothing to do with what happened, she did it!" Misty continued beside her. "She had always been—"

"Very well, Misty. Must you wail so incessantly? Your high pitched screeches are giving me a headache," Lady Kiara grumbled as she rubbed her forehead.

"Off you go, girls." She waved her hand and plopped down to lay on her bed. "Patience has never been the field I excel in and dealing with you would need quite a much of it." Ada's face burned from the dangerous glint in her eyes as the Lady openly stared at her with an unnerving smile.

Ada could have sworn she had not seen Misty running faster than today.

"Ada." The Lady called out her name from behind. Her hand halted at the door handle. She turned around, eyes on the ground, hands clasped on the front. She gulped before it occurred to her despite all the Misty's ramblings, she was yet to apologise to the noble woman.

Fool.

Utter fool.

That's all I am.

"My Lady—" Ada let her knees hit the floor with a thud. A shuddering breath escaped her mouth. Her eyes widened in alarm.

"I— Forgiveness is all I beg for, my Lady. It was nothing but my mistake. However, ill intentions never were a part of it. I didn't do it on purpose—"