Chapter- 6

Ada quickened her steps, the paper scrunched tightly in her hands. She was on the quest to find Mrs Smith when she was greeted by the said woman halfway.

A very tense woman with a basket in her hands, at that.

Ada bowed upon coming closer. "I have done my chores, Mrs. Smith." She held out the paper for the Head Maid to look. "But I can't read, hence I couldn't—"

The paper was snatched away.

"Who gave you this?" She scrunched her nose reading it and then crumpled it.

"It was Jason."

"There are too many Jasons. Do me a favor and slap him the next time you see him. Tell him— Mrs Smith's orders." She huffed. "Insolent brats, going around teasing the poor girl." She continued in a rushed, angry whisper.

Ada blinked. "Oh, okay..."

"Go upstairs. You will find Misty there. Tell her to change the curtains of the guest room in which Lady Kiara is staying. And tell her to mop its floor as well."

Ada's brows knitted together. They have already changed the curtains.

And how much mopping does those floors need anyways?

Must be the old age. Ada concluded before speaking softly. "Mrs. Smith, we changed them just this morning. Along with the bedsheets. And you also had Misty mop the floor. I have, as well, dusted the room thoroughly in the morning."

The older woman raised an eyebrow at the girl.

"What makes you think I do not remember that?"

Ada opened her mouth then clamped it shut, looking away from the woman.

Mrs Smith pursed her lips, before narrowing her eyes at her. "My, my. It is not because of my grey hair, is it?"

Ada scratched her left cheek, the material of her eye patch irritating the skin, but did not dare to speak, making the woman gasp.

"Ha!" She exasperated, "Look at this crazy girl! My hair has just discoloured, that is all. I am very much young, you chipmunk! Take this and do what you are told. Come quickly when you are done, I will be in the pantry." Mrs Smith pushed the basket into her hands before marching away.

"That was a bad move," Ada mumbled to herself as she could hear the woman muttering to herself how easily people hurt other people's emotions nowadays.

"Nevermind." I need to get this done quickly. Lunchtime was approaching, so she dashed to the supplies room.

------------------------------

Ada found Misty dusting the books in the library on the third story of the mansion.

It was a quaint room with bookshelves carefully lining the left and right sides. However, Ada almost always rolled her eyes when she got in there.

It was the perfect room. Away from the commotion down the stairs, it was tranquil. The mellow glow of the lamp at night and dappled sunlight in the day exuded a cosy atmosphere. The lush brown curtains framed the big window and a brown leather sofa lines just beside it looked aesthetic. What made the room the best was the considerable volumes of notable books that were stacked in the bookshelves.

But rarely anyone came here.

The books were left untouched for days.

It had been days since someone had come to stand near the window and gazed outside.

It had been weeks since someone had come and sat down in the plush sofa with a cup of fragrant tea in their one hand and a book on another.

It had been months since someone had come and ran their fingers across the spines of the books in the shelves to choose their next favourite.