Chapter- 19

A/N: The following text is embedded with typos. Please read at your own risk.

Before she could scream, a palm was pressed against her mouth and she was dragged inside her room. With a thump, her back was pulled into a hardened chest.

A man.

Or a dangerously flat- chested woman.

Panic fluttered it's wings inside Lea's stomach. She was not a fighter. Never had been.

She jabbed the stomach of the captor with her elbow but her shoulder was abandoned just as fast. Now, the hand encircled her waist, holding her in place, jarring any moment of her arms. She plunged her head back, hitting his face. The man— definitely a man— let out a pained groan, startled momentarily. Yet he never released his grip.

"Stop—" he groaned. Lea did not waste any time. She stomped her feet, stepping on his feet with all her weight while plunging her head back repeatedly, aiming for his face. But the man was now leaning his head back, away from her range of attack. He had moved his right feet back to maintain his balance.

"Stop it, it's Da— What are you doing?" he started with a grunt but ended with a hiss as Lea ducked down out of blue.

His grip faltered for a mere moment. Just enough for Lea to twist out one of her arms which held the silver pin.  She raised her hand as she straightened up and thrusted it above her head, aiming for his face again.

He left her waist completely and moved out of the way. His palm resting against her mouth tightened it's grip as he pushed her back and in front of him. He captured her hand with the pin in his other hand as he stated hurriedly.

"Lea, stop. This is Darton."

Lea froze mid air. "Darton?" She blinked at the man in front of her.

Realization came a second late.

Darton clutched his mask clad nose. His light red eyes glinted with irritation. The hood on his head had shifted to side, some blonde locks peeking out.

Darton, Lea thought to herself as she recognized the faintly familiar face. Marquess Edith's trusted attendant.

Gloved fingertips held his nose. He shook it, eyes watering.

I destroyed his nose. And his shoes.

Panic surged in Lea as she approached the man.

"Sir! Oh my goodness, what did I do? Oh my—"

A letter was thrusted into her hand.

"We do not have time. I am leaving. Deliver it to the Lady as soon as possible; Master's order. My Goddess, your head is made of iron."

Without a second thought, the man left the room. Lea sped after him and opened the door. The hallway was silent again. The two guards stood erect beside the Lady's chamber door. Another stood near the staircase, peering down.

Darton was gone, like wind. As if he was never there.

Was it him I saw earlier? Where did he go anyway?

Lea looked around. Only two guards, who were stationed by Lady's chamber, were present.

Oh, yes. The sound down the hallway.

What was that?

She marched towards the end of the hallway. The letter was now slipped inside her dress pocket. She squeezed it from outside.

One of the guard spoke as he saw her approach, "Miss, you must not—"

"Yes, yes, sir. I would not go there." Lea gestured towards the dark turn of the hallway. "Did the guards from earlier did not—"