Chapter- 14

The waning moon peeked through the small window of her room. The old woman sat on her bed adjacent to the window, staring at it. She crushed the letter in her hand, her eyes unwavering from the slice of the celestial body in the sky. Slowly, her gaze dropped down, resting upon the thick forest. Beyond it was the dungeon.

Someone knocked at her door.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she looked back at the door. She glanced at the clock. Half past eleven.

Who could it be?

If it is Mr Thompson—

Huffing, she swung her feet and dangled them at the sides of the bed. Getting up, she cursed under her breath as her knees cracked and pained. She opened the drawer of her table beside her bed and put the letter in it. Her palms massaged her paining joints as she went to open the door.

Misa and Sarah stood there.

"Mrs—" Sarah's loud voice reverberated in the dark hallway and Misa clamped her mouth shut in urgency.

The Head Maid sighed.

These two again.

"What is it?" She asked them, while Misa still struggled with Sarah to keep her mouth shut.

"May we come in, ma'am?" Misa whispered and looked left and right.

A firm "No" was at the tip of her tongue. She bit back the retort and sighed again in resignation. Moving to the side, she let them in.

"Break anything and I will break you two," she warned them when she closed the door behind herself. The memories of her broken lamp, torn curtains and these two smiling sheepishly at her bewildered face flashed in front of her eyes when she did so.

These two are nothing but trouble.

"We promise." Misa nodded fervently. She looked between the Head Maid  and Sarah, who was now sitting on the bed and picking at the loose threads of the bedsheet.

"What are you two here for? It is way past your bedtime, young missies." Mrs Smith swatted Sarah's hand away from her poor bedsheet, earning a pout from her.

"Yes, ma'am." Misa scratched the back of her head, and casted a glance at Sarah.

"We—"

"It is tough to sleep when Ada is in prison." Sarah heaved out a deep breath dejectedly.

Ada. Mrs Smith winced. The tall trees beckoned her eyes to look at them once more. They curtained the large stone building where the poor young girl was thrown in. Composing herself, the Head Maid replied. "How sweet. But if you want me to sing a lullaby, I must inform you I am not a good singer."

"Absolutely not, ma'am!" Sarah stood up horrified. "Why would we wish such calamity as your singing upon our—"

Rest of her words ended up in a wheezing cough as her head was taken in a choke hold by Misa. Sarah tapped her friend's arm, trying to free herself but the girl only tightened her hold around the blabber mouth's neck. Albeit stronger, Sarah acceded to Misa's non verbal command to be quiet with a grunting sound and a deep frown.

Meanwhile, Mrs Smith looked at the two of them, tired and slightly offended.

Mr Thompson and Ada never complain about my singing. Closing her eyes, she pinched the bridge of her nose.

Whatever am I thinking?

Opening here eyes again, she asked, irritated. "What is it? I am tired and I wish to sleep."