Chapter XIII - beachside resort

The next time I woke up, Lucifer was here.

I turned to my side and saw him sitting right there, focused on the book he had in hand. I let out a yawn as I sat up, "isn't that mine?"

He turned, realising that I was awake and closed the book. "Well, I had to find something to do." He answered as I propped the pillow up against the headrest.

I checked the time on my phone then rubbed my eyes. I was definitely less drunk now, I was out for hours. "You didn't go back to hell?"

He sighed and shook his head. "Why are you even asking, I'm right here." I stared at him, speechless. I can't do this, I just woke up. But he ruined the moment a second later.

"You were the one that was saying," he paused to clear his throat and continued in a higher pitch, supposedly mocking me. "Please stay..."

He purposely pushed his bottom lip out and quickly blinked at me. I gasped and leaned away from him, "I don't sound like that! And I definitely did not say that." Right?

I mean, I guess I was kind of drunk but I wasn't that drunk. There was no way I did.

Lucifer rolled his eyes at me then turned to the tv. So does that mean I did, or didn't? I sighed, next time I should drink less.

The rest of the flight, we stayed in the room watching movies and playing video games.

---

Once we were out of the airport, we hopped onto a bus that took us to the beachside resort that Leslie booked.

As we made our way to our room with all the luggage, I was telling Lucifer how excited I was. I had helped Leslie when she was choosing the hotels and the rooms, and from the pictures the rooms already looked amazing.

We finally come up to our room and I pushed the door open.

The first thing that came into view was the set glass sliding doors that separated the private pool from the living room and bed room. We walked into the living room and I opened the set of doors that led to one end of the pool.

The edge of the pool blended in with the ocean in the background, it was mesmerising. From the other set of sliding doors that led from the bedroom, Lucifer walked out.

I turned to face him as a gust of wind blew past. The curtains in the bedroom flew open, revealing the single king bed and an opened door to a walk-in closet.

I gasped, "there's so much space." I walked across the wooden platform and in through the curtains, heading straight to the closet.

I could fit so many clothes in here. "Tomorrow I have to go get a dress, then check out the venue and catering." The list goes on and tomorrow's only the first day.

I flicked the light switch before closing the doors. "You're not even the one getting married." Lucifer remarked, still standing outside watching the ocean.

I sighed, I'm helping so Leslie wouldn't be too overwhelmed, and besides I think that's what the maid of honour should be doing.

"Whatever, come on. Let's go."

There's a slight breeze as the water gently lapped at my feet along the bank. In the horizon, the sun was about to set, casting golden rays on the clouds.

Lucifer, however, was standing a little way away. "Don't like water?" I teased, lightly kicking some onto his feet. He just took a step away and kept walking.

That just made me want to disturb him more. I ran up the bank to leave my phone and sandals before going back to the ocean empty-handed.

"Lucifer!"

Just as he turned around, I threw a handful of water in his direction. Honestly, it wasn't even that much. "You..." He cursed at me as he combed his damp hair back, out of his face. "You're going to regret that."

He bends down to scoop some water to throw back at me but of course, I'm already running away. By the time I slow down and glance back, Lucifer was this tiny figure slowly strolling over. He's not going to be catching up anytime soon.

I stop and catch my breath just as a puff of black smoke appears and Lucifer appears right in front of me. No wonder he was taking his time.

"Hey! You cheater!"

I turned to run but it was too late. He grabbed a hold of my arm and pulled me back towards him. "I hope you like water," he snickered as he effortlessly lifted me off my feet.

Alarm bells were starting to ring in my head. "Put. Me. Down!" I screamed and shouted, struggling in his grip all while Lucifer wadded deeper into the water.

"As you wish."

Without warning, he dropped me. It was freezing and I couldn't breath. I struggled to push myself up as another wave washed over my head

I was gasping for air as Lucifer laughed devilishly down at me. "Are you done?" I grumbled and splashed some water up at him.

His laughter finally died down and I reached up for his hand, really hoping he'd take it. "At least help me up." I sputter, still trying to wipe the water out of my face.

He does.

I get a tight grip on his hand and pulled him toward me with all my strength. He's falling in seconds, splashing into the water beside me.

He breached the surface, spitting out sea water. It's my turn to laugh. "Now we're even." I said and for the second time that day, he wiped the water out of his face.

He turned to me with a flat smile, "you have fun walking back on your own." With that, he was gone.

Hey! That's not fair!

I sit there in the water for a while longer, getting no reply. I grumbled, pushing myself up and walking back to retrieve my things. He's pettier than I thought.

That wasn't for him to hear, but if he did I guess it works too.

I checked my phone to see a few missed calls from Mom and of course I call her back as I walked back to the resort alone.

"Lucifer? We're going to dinner with my parents." I called out into the room once I opened the door. I thought he would be in the shower or something but as I walked into the bed room, I saw him sprawled across the bed, already dressed in a new suit.

"Let's go then."

I let out a dry chuckle and rolled my eyes at him before walking into the bathroom for a hot shower.