Chapter XXV - if only

A slow song starts to play, pulling everyone's attention away from us.

I watched with a small smile as Lucifer pulled away from my cheek and set the flowers down on the table. "I'll take that as a yes." I teased him. He just matched my smile and shook his head.

Following the crowd, we made our way to the dance floor where the Father-daughter dance was about to begin.

Dad and Leslie took their places in the middle of the dance floor as another song starts. They've been practicing for a while and Dad was pretty excited. Leslie was starting to get emotional as she leaned her head down on Dad's shoulders.

Somehow, it brought tears to my eyes too.

What's wrong? I turn to see Lucifer watching me with a look of concern. I quickly shake my head and wipe the tears away. It's nothing... just, that Leslie's married now. I'm not going to see her as often anymore and she'll be busy with her own life, her family and maybe even kids and ... I'll be all alone.

I wasn't actually planning on saying all that, it just came out.

Lucifer scoffed and I turned to him with wide eyes. I just poured my heart out, and he scoffed at me. Unbelievable.

"What are you talking about." He says in a hushed voice, as he pulled a handkerchief from inside his jacket pocket. "She's getting married, not moving to another country." He brought it up to my eyes and lightly dabbed away the tears. "And besides, you have me don't you?"

For a moment it seemed like the world around us had stopped as I looked up into his eyes. If he was real, now might be a good time to say I love you.

I slowly nod at him and smile. "You can be pretty sweet when you want to be, you know." I told him. He shrugged it off, "and you can be such a baby sometimes."

Surprised by the sudden insult I gasped and threw a light smack at his chest.

Lucifer chuckled, stuffing the handkerchief away and offered me his hand. "Would you care to have a dance with me, m'lady?" I glanced from him to the dance floor, more and more people were starting to dance.

Looking back to Lucifer, I grinned and took his hand, doing a little curtsy as I answered, "I'd be honoured."

~~

Before I knew it the night was over and we were seeing everyone off at the airport. The newly wed couple were flying off to their honeymoon while Mum and Dad were going home.

When I brought up the extended vacation to them, they didn't seem to mind. I guess they've taken a liking to Lucifer, it's too bad he'll be gone soon.

"Safe flight!" I called out as the two couples disappeared through the boarding gates.

Once the were gone I turned to Lucifer, "what now?"

He teleported us back to the hotel room and I grabbed my bag, ready to go. The two bags of coffee were packed in it as well as my book that Lucifer seemed to be pretty interested in, so I thought I'd give it to him too, as a parting gift.

"Are you ready?" Lucifer asked and I nodded in reply. In a second he'd changed back to his original form and a black door appeared in the middle of the room.

I can't believe this is happening. I was so excited. And Lucifer looked excited too, as he stretched out his hand for me to take. I slid my hand into his, slightly shivering from how cold he was.

With that, he pulled me through the doors to hell.