Chapter XVIII - bridesmaid dress

I took a few bites of the cake before passing the fork over to Lucifer so that he could try. And I'm glad to say that it tasted as good as it looked.

"Are you really going to get that dress?" Lucifer asked, cutting into the cake. He's probably not very fond of my decision. That doesn't mean I'm going to change my mind.

"Yes really. Honestly it looks pretty cute, no?"

He shook his head, giving me a disapproving look. I rolled my eyes and muttered, "it's in trend now and definitely looks way better than the one you chose."

Lucifer heard me, not like I was trying to be discreet. He took a stab at the cake and looked up at me. "Are you trying to say that I'm old?" He questioned.

I stifled a chuckle, "I'm not wrong though, am I?" I mean, he does look about one or two years older than me but that's just because he could change his looks. "Actually, how old are you?"

He took a bit of the cake and passed the fork back over. "I stopped counting a while ago." He paused and looked me up and down, "maybe a few million times your age."

The cake frosting melted in my mouth as I thought about his answer, wondering it he meant that as a compliment or an insult. "How old do you think I am?"

"40?"

That answer came out way too fast, he better be joking. Do I really look that old? Lucifer let out a chuckle and gave it another go, "sorry, I think you're closer to 50."

My eyes flew open. Now he's just making fun of me. "I'm not even 25 yet." I say before pulling the plate closer to me.

"No? But you will be in a few months though."

I thought about it for a while before realising that he's right. "Woah, how'd you know that?" With him, it probably wasn't just a lucky guess.

He glanced around the store to make sure no one was looking before he shut his eyes for a few seconds. When he opened them again, they were pitch black. Just like how they are in his devil form.

He stared, like he was reading something on the top of my head. "You're turning 25 on the 4th of December." He said it not like a question, but like a statement. He was sure.

I gave a slow nod as he blinked a few times, changing his eyes back to normal. I stared at him, waiting for an explanation.

"I can see the day you were born, your age and..." He trailed off, seemingly thinking whether or not he should tell me.

"And what?" I prompt him.

"And the day you're going to die."

Well, it kind of makes sense doesn't it. He is the devil. "The day I'm going to die." I repeat after him. This conversation took quite an unexpected turn.

"Is it soon?" I can't help but ask. I haven't really thought about death much, but there's still a lot I want to do.

Lucifer seemed hesitant to tell me. I suppose there's some rule against it. "Come on, just yes or no. You don't have to tell me when," I plead. "I won't stop asking."

He let out a small chuckle just as the staff called for us to collect our drinks. "No. You still have quite a long time left." He decided to say as I got up.

Well, that's good to know.

"Hey, maybe they'll let you visit me in heaven." I chuckled before walking away. I heard a hum before his voice appeared in my head.

Maybe I'll see you in hell.

---

We get back to the dress shop and they seemed to have almost finished shopping, each with a light blue dress or two in hand.

I scanned the store one more time just in case and something caught my eye. "Lucifer, could you hand these out?" I shove the bag of drinks at him and disappear into the aisle before he could answer.

I grabbed the dress that was calling out to me and went to put it on. I can't believe I didn't see this earlier.

When I was done I walked out of the dressing room to find Lucifer waiting. His eyes swept across my body as his mouth fell slightly ajar.

When he finally brought his eyes up to mine, I could tell he was captivated. "So, what do you think?" I asked, a grin crawling onto my lips. I do a little twirl and ends of the dress swish around my knees.

Lucifer cleared his throat, and gave a curt nod. "It looks better than what you picked."

"It looks better than what you picked too." I replied. He rolled his eyes in return. "Get changed, we're leaving soon." He dismissed, turning around to walk away.

I stepped back into the dressing room and took a second to look at myself in the mirror. I actually look pretty good in this, I thought, not with the intention of letting Lucifer hear me. I sound just a little narcissistic.

I give the dress one last look before changing out.

You do...

I slipped my shirt back on and scrunched my eyes at my reflection, wondering what was the mumble I couldn't quite catch.

---

We get to the next stop for jewellery and shoes. Lucifer and I were the last to walk in and one of the free staff approached us.

"May I help you find anything?"

I glanced around, not too sure about what to get. "Maybe I could match some pieces to your dress?" She offered, sensing my hesitation.

That sounds good. I pull out my phone and show her the picture I took before changing out earlier. She studied it for a while before handing my phone back. "Do you have a budget?"

Do I? At my limit I probably won't even be able to get anything. Lucifer, can you pay for me? I turned to him and she followed my gaze. I threw on my puppy eyes, please?

There's a grumble before he replied, fine.

He turned to the lady with a small smile as he shook his head, "no, show us your best." 

a/n
hey guyss!!! it's a little short but i finally updated !!! enjoyy <333