Chapter XXVII - fight between brothers

This wedding was going to be harder than I thought.

At the end of our discussion, we've come to conclude several things. Firstly, we can't communicate through our thoughts anymore because every devil can do that and if we do, everyone would hear us. Maybe Lucifer should have warned me about that before I decided to come.

Secondly, the food here sucks which isn't the main point. I shouldn't eat anything unless I have to, as Lucifer put it "it might warrant a longer stay."

Also it would be better if nobody found out I was human, which was pretty obvious.

"Whatever it is, just stay by my side okay?" Lucifer concluded. We were both sprawled out on the bed, trying to think of anything else I should be wary of. "Like I'd find some other devil to talk to." I scoffed at him.

Lucifer chuckled as he pushed himself off the bed. "Come on, get dressed. There's a family gathering to attend." With a wave a partition appeared at the side of the room with a dress hanging over the top.

"It doesn't really sound like something I have to be at." I rolled over, not wanting to get up. "Well no, but you brought me along to all your dress shopping and whatever, so I'm taking you to this." Lucifer smirked, hauling me off the bed.

"Now get changed or I'll do it for you."

With that I hurried behind the partition and put the dress on.

After that, Lucifer teleported us to outside some pearly white gates. "Are we where I think we are?" I asked in a small voice as Lucifer led us through.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Lucifer shrugged. Inside, angles and devils both gathered, talking and drinking. Halie spotted us and excused herself to come over.

"Look who finally decided to show up." She chuckled, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. Lucifer shot her a glare before glancing around the room. No one was paying us much attention. "Relax brother, I haven't told anyone about your new friend."

Halie reached over and traced her nails down the side of my face. "Though I have to say, you did a pretty good job making this one." She said with a sly grin as her hand found its way under my chin, pushing my face up to the light.

"Maybe when you're done, I'll take her for a spin." That earned her something that sounded like a growl from Lucifer as he pulled me to his side. I tried to hide the disgust from my face as Halie grinned even wider at our reactions.

"Joking, joking. You should see the look on your face." I turned to him just in time to see the scowl on his face disappear. She turned to me, pretending to whisper, "he's never been a big fan of sharing."

I let out a little chuckle and Lucifer rolled his eyes.

"Now, what would you say to a fight? I think I heard one of our brothers saying something about being the strongest one." Before she even finished her sentence, she was already leading us to whoever it was and Lucifer was pulling me along.

"You're going to fight?" I asked as Lucifer weaved us through the crowd. "I'll prove him wrong." He grinned as we stepped into a clearing, an angel seemed to be waiting.

"Good luck then." I mumbled as he positioned me right in front to watch. "I don't need luck." His eyes twinkled with excitement as he stepped away to face his brother.

This should be pretty interesting.

I watched as they circled around each other for a bit before fists were flying and the crowd was cheering and booing since the moment it started.

A while into it, wings sprouted and they were moving so fast I could barely tell what was happening. I was so invested in the fight I didn't realise someone had came to stand beside me.

"Who'd you think will win?" A voice appeared from my right.

I turned to face another devil who's eyes were on the fight. Maybe she's just being friendly. "Lucifer, obviously." I replied her, turning back to watch as Lucifer threw the angel to the ground.

She gave a small chuckle before offering her hand to me, "I don't think we've met. I'm Amari." I reached over and shook her hand as I replied, "Kyra, nice to meet you."

Again turning back to the fight, I'm just in time to see Lucifer claim victory as the angel surrendered from his position on the floor. "Kyra, did you see that?" Lucifer called out, a lopsided grin on his face. A grin that doesn't last long as his eyes wander to the new friend I've made.

With a flap of his wings he's standing right in front of us, pulling me into his chest. I move to lean away from him, sweaty and dirty from the fight, but he doesn't seem to notice. "Amari." He addressed her, his voice seething with rage.

She didn't seem to be bothered. "Lucifer," she gives a small nod. "It's been a while."

"What are you doing here?" He sneered at her, his voice growing louder, attracting the attention of a few onlookers. Whatever was happening, a crowd didn't seem good.

"For the celebrations, of course. Am I not allowed to be here?" She challenged him, seemingly successful in stoking his anger.

I reached up to grab the hand he had around my shoulders, pulling his attention away from her. His gaze softened as his eyes met mine and he let out a sigh.

"Enjoy the festivities then." Lucifer waved her off, not even looking back at her. I turned to watch as she shot me a smile, "it was nice meeting you." With that she turned and disappeared.

"Are you okay?" I peeked up at Lucifer, noticing that a few bruises were starting to form. With my other hand I reached up to rub the one on his cheek.

He grumbled in response, "didn't I tell you to not talk to anyone?" Pulling his wings back into his back, he pulled me closer to him and two steps later we were back in his room.

"She came to me, I didn't want to be rude." I answered, not fully understanding what was going on. Why was he so angry?

Lucifer grumbled more as he started to pace around the room. I let him be as I went to change out of the dress, giving him some time to calm down.

He was sitting at the edge of the bed when I came back. "Who was she?" I asked, walking to stand in front of him. "I told you about her before." He mumbled, pulling his shirt up to show me the scar on his side.

"She was the one that almost killed you?" I gasped, "why didn't you kill her?" I didn't think he'd let anyone off the hook for doing something like that.

"She disappeared right after, I didn't think I'd ever see her again." Lucifer's brows furrowed together as he started to explain, it was like just thinking about it was enough to bring him pain.

"A long time ago, we were close..."