Chapter XVII - pinky promise

The bus that was taking us around the island to shop came and we all filed into it, with me and Lucifer getting up last and sitting at the front, away from the rest of the group.

"I might go a little overboard today," I whispered to Lucifer. "So just stop me if you don't like it, okay?" In reply, he gave a grunt and turned out the window. Looks like he still doesn't want to talk about it.

I leaned over and rested my chin on his shoulder. "Promise and I won't bother you anymore." I grinned. He gave me a side eye, mumbling "you're so annoying," before he agreed. I perked up, not expecting him to actually agree so quickly.

"Great" I said and held out my hand. He looked at my pointed pinky and thumb before looking back at me questioningly.

"Pinky promise."

Looks like it doesn't exist in hell, or maybe Lucifer just didn't have a childhood. Lucifer was still confused so I reached over and grabbed his hand, folding in three of his fingers for him.

"Like this." I explained as I intertwined our pinkies, making a promise before pressing our thumbs together to seal it. "Now, you promised me and you can't break it, okay?"

He nodded, seemingly more interested in what we just did than what he agreed to. "What was this for?" He asked, removing his hand from mine.

"To seal the promise." He hummed and I could literally see something formulating in his head. He was staring at our hands before suddenly turning up to me. "So it's binding? Like a contract?" He asked. It's funny to think that Lucifer thought just by hooking our pinkies together, we made a solid agreement.

I giggled a little and shook my head slightly. "Well, no. It's more of metaphorical." I told him, causing him to frown. "Then what's the point?"

That's a good question, I've never really thought about that. "I guess it's just something we do? Mostly child's play, like when you promise to be friends forever."

Lucifer heard something more interesting than the pinky promise and changed the topic, "you promise to be friends forever?" He said, probably thinking how ridiculous that sounded. He was definitely about to laugh at me.

"Hey! I actually did stay friends with him." I smacked him on his arm as I answered. Lucifer glanced at me, doubtful of what I said. "I was about 4 or 5 and there was this boy from the neighbourhood I was best of friends with. But school was about to start and we got enrolled into different ones."

I realised I was starting to ramble but Lucifer didn't look like he minded, so I continued. "We made a promise to stay friends and we did. I still meet up and go out with him now."

Lucifer scoffed. "Why didn't you ask him to be your date then?" He was actually the first person I thought of, but also the first person I took off the list.

"Leslie knows him too, and she knows we're just friends. She would never believe it if I brought him." I explained. I eliminated all of my friends because of this. "Right. So the next thing you do is summon the devil."

I could sense the sarcasm in his voice but I laughed anyway. "You think? I tried asking strangers I met and even from a dating app but all of them wanted a serious relationship." I shrugged. "And you don't?"

Shaking my head I answered, "I do but just not with some rando." Lucifer hummed a while before asking another question, "how'd you even think to summon me in the first place?"

Now that I thought about it, it's actually a pretty funny process. I never knew summoning anything was possible in the first place. "I didn't. I just read something from a book." I said and he hummed again.

"It was that easy?" Before I could say anything he continued, "If it was I'd be summoned everyday." I shut my mouth and thought about it, he did make sense.

Just as I was about to reply, the bus stopped and everyone filed out. We were at our first destination, a classy little street shop that was filed with dresses.

We walked in at the back of the group and watched as almost all of them squealed while looking around. Again, not my type of people.

How long do you think we'll be here? Lucifer asked as they spread out and started looking through the racks. I think the answer was pretty obvious. A long long time.

I scanned the shop and saw some seats in the corner and led Lucifer over. It's not like he's going to look for dresses with me.

Talking about that, Leslie thought it would be cute if the bridesmaids matched but didn't. So, different dresses but in the same colour. I think it's pretty cute and everyone will definitely look better in their own style.

I started going around the shop, pushing away hangars to look at the dresses. By the time I picked a few, everyone else was trying theirs on in the fitting room and I didn't want to squeeze in with them so I brought the dresses over to Lucifer instead.

I hold them up in front of me and Lucifer creased his eyebrows at the ones he didn't like. In the end, we shortlisted about 3 dresses which I took to the fitting room which had emptied out. Everyone was walking around again, looking for the second set of dresses to try on.

I slipped the dresses on before walking out to show it to Lucifer. I had dragged him over from his comfy seat to help me pick a dress. But he wasn't much help since I ended up getting the dress he liked the least.

I went over to put the dress at the counter before calling out to everyone, "we're going to get some coffee, text me your orders."

We go down the street and walk into the first café we see. It had a super cozy feel to it and the smell of freshly baked pastries filled the room.

I passed Lucifer my phone to order everyone's drinks while I looked at the cakes and pastries that were put out. I think we have time for some cake.

This one! I pointed at the last slice of the strawberry cream cake and turned to Lucifer. In the middle of ordering, he paused and turned to see what I was talking about. The cashier turned too as I poked at the glass.

He gave a short hum before turning back to continue reading form the list of orders. "... and the slice of cake she was pointing at."

The cashier pressed in the last order and the total bill came onto the small screen. Who knew coffee was so expensive. I turned to Lucifer because I definitely had no intention of paying for it, just in time to see him slip his hand out of his pocket with a stack of bills and a few whisks of disappearing black smoke.

"Thank you." I chirped, reaching for the cake that the staff placed on the counter for us before walking over to the sofa seats in the corner of the store.

a/n
hey guys, it's been a while huh. This chapter is finally here!!
Quite frankly, I'm not very sure when I'll get the next one out but I really really appreciate all the support from everyone, thank you all so much !!!
<<<333