Chapter 23

A few weeks passed since Andrew Danielson's cremation ceremony. Aldrich and Nicole had been slowly building back their relationship since all the things happened with her father. It was slow and steady, but the more the two began to think about it, that's what they needed. They had rushed into things, giving into the mate bond that wanted nothing more than for them to be together. It felt better taking it slow tho, getting to know one another before rushing into it all. Sure, they had already said their I love you's, but starting over was fresh and new to them; and they both loved it.

   Silent Ash's men had returned back to the pack with information of the supposed outpost they had been given coordinates to by the rogue, Axel. It wasn't a very large outpost, maybe only holding 50 men at most in it. It wasn't very hard for Aldrich's warriors to overtake it. They came back with about 10 prisoners, figuring that the more men they could break for information, the better.

Nicole had returned to Nightshade with Aldrich to interrogate the men. At first, Aldrich had protested against her going into the cells with him. He became ruthless in that cinder block building, and he wasn't sure how she would handle it with her usually calm nature. She had surprised him tho, making 6 of the 10 men break for her. He was especially proud of her tactic she used to get the information from them. The minute she walked in the cells, she ordered Aldrich to pick a cell and wait on her. Once Aldrich was in a cell, she began the interrogation on the wolf in hers. He would tell her something, and immediately, she mind linked Aldrich, telling him what the wolf had said. If Aldrich's prisoners answers didn't match, it wasn't good.

Aldrich had been shocked, and even a little proud when he mind linked her back a different answer than the one she gave him. The grunts and cries of pain of the man she was with had brought a smile to Aldrich's face. She truly was the love of his life. He had never seen another female like her. Sure, some of his best warriors were woman, but they had been raised that way. At first glance, Nicole seemed to be someone who wouldn't hurt a fly. She usually let Lance or James do the killing and interrogating, but something in her had changed.

As she threw punch after punch into the wolfs face, all she could hear were her fathers words. "Make sure she assumes her role as Luna, like nature intended." Nicole loved her father, of course. But she couldn't stop the hurt and anger from flowing through her at his words. She knew he only wanted what was best for her, and she didn't blame him for thinking he was doing what was best. But she didn't want to be a luna, never. As she tortured and mutilated the rogues who had played part in trying to hurt her pack, she realized how much she liked leading. She loved seeing the fear in the men's eyes. They were bigger than her, older; but they were weak and afraid. They were her enemies, and she relished in the rush she got making them submit.

  The two alphas didn't find out much from the 10 men. They didn't seem to know much, it seemed like they were kept almost completely in the dark about who they were fighting for and why. They did however find out the location to another outpost, and the name of the man who lead it.

"How do they have this many outposts and people fighting for them?" Josh asked.

After interrogating, and eventually killing the men they had captured, everyone met in Aldrich's office to discuss things.

"Maybe they're being paid?" Alex said, leaning against the wall closest to the door.

Aldrich was in deep thought, sitting behind his desk and leaned back in his chair. "There has to be some reason these rogues are helping these people. Rogues aren't loyal to anyone but themselves, so they must be gaining something from it."

Nicole nodded her head in agreement. "I don't see it being about money. The main reason someone goes rogue is so they don't have to follow a pack. I honestly just don't think money is something they would all be willing to die for tho."