Chapter 6

A couple days had passed since Aldrich Branson had entered Silent Ash Pack. Nicole had avoided him like the plague as her feelings began to grow with their mate bond. She dreamed of him, longed for him, and had even caught herself thinking of him at times. He was all she could think about, and she hated it.

Aldrich on the other hand, felt like he was going mad. He desperately wished to claim his mate, marking her as his, taking her back to their pack where he could place a pup into her womb and start a family with her. But he knew she didn't want that, not yet at least. And it drove him wild. Every time he caught her out training, that knot would form in his stomach. The way her muscles flexed as she moved, the way the sun glistened on her sweat covered body. Aldrich had never taken as many cold showers in his life as he had the last few days.

Every time he would try to talk to his mate, she would busy herself with work, or that meddling beta of hers would whisk her away. Aldrich could feel himself growing more annoyed as the days went on.

One particular day, he was especially annoyed. He had made reservations at a nice restaurant that sat on the beach, not too far from the Silent Ash territory. He had planned to take his stubborn mate there and talk to her, telling her that his intentions were not to take her position from her. He hoped that if she knew that, maybe she would accept him better. As he parked his car outside her house, he grimaced as he saw the betas truck parked in the driveway. Stepping out the car, he shut the door with a slam, stomping up to the house.

Nicole and Lance her sitting in the dining room, talking about the rogue attack that had happened days prior when they heard the car pull up. Thinking it was either Nicole's father or James, they continued with their conversation.

"Nic, what are you going to do about your mate? You know you can't run from this unless you reject him." Lance said, changing the subject as he leaned back in his chair.

Nicole's wolf growled at the idea of rejecting Aldrich, that definitely wasn't an option to her wolf. Nicole had been considering it tho, despite her thoughts about it days before. She sighed as she ran a tired hand down her face. "I don't know, Lance. My wolf is crazy about him... I have a pack to run tho. I can't just run off with a mate and leave my pack. I won't."

Lance smiled at his alpha and her dedication to the pack. As much as he wanted to tell her to reject Aldrich for his own benefit, he knew that wouldn't make her truly happy; and all he wanted was too see his friend happy. And besides, he couldn't make a decision for her, that was all on her. He could however give her advice. "Talk to him, Nic. Yes, he's a little arrogant, but maybe he won't be a bad mate."

Nicole pondered on his words as she stared that table in thought. Her wolf was sure Aldrich would be a perfect mate, but her human side wasn't all convinced. What if he tried to take over her pack, put her and her people below his? She couldn't stand for that! "Lance, if I do accept him, you and James lose your positions, as do I and our men and woman. I don't know if I can do that. We all three worked hard this past year to get this pack where we are, and I don't think I can throw that away for a mate."

Aldrich, who was standing by the window listening, was heartbroken. Was she actually considering rejecting him? She didn't even get to know him, not really. His wolf howled out inside him at the thought of his mate rejecting him, even if it was just her human side. If only she would sit and talk to him, he could tell her he didn't want to rule over her. Her people would not lose their positions they worked hard for if he could help it. She wanted nothing to do with him tho, and that hurt more than anything.

Turning his pain into anger, as he was used to doing, Aldrich stalked away from the window, going to the door. Not bothering to knock, he threw the door open, nearly knocking it off it's hinges as he stepped inside.