Chapter 24

Nicole and Aldrich laid in his bed, her head resting on his bare chest and the thick grey comforter pulled up to her chin. A comedy movie was playing on the tv, and the two lay in a comfortable silence as they watched. Aldrich had began stroking her back, which was covered by a white tank top which she had changed into once they arrived at his house. A scene in the movie caused a small giggle to fall from Nicole's lips, and Aldrich smiled at the sound. He loved hearing her laughter and seeing her smile. It meant she was happy in that moment, and that's all he ever wanted for her.

"What are you thinking about?" Nicole suddenly asked, her eyes not leaving the tv.

Aldrich chuckled, continuing to stroke her back. "Nothing. I'm just watching the movie."

"That's a lie, Aldrich Branson. You've been staring at me the past 5 minutes now. What's on your mind?"

Aldrich smiled, kissing her hair before looking at the tv. "Just how much I love hearing your laugh and seeing your smile."

Nicole snorted, rolling her eyes. "I'm serious, what were you thinking so hard about?"

"That was it, I swear."

Nicole looked up at him, studying his face. "Why is my laughter and smile on your mind all of a sudden?"

Aldrich looked back down at her. "It means you're happy, even if it is just in that moment. I don't want that happiness to ever leave you."

Nicole smiled at him, leaning up to kiss his lips. "I am happy. I have a shit ton going on, but at the end of the day, I'm happy."

Aldrich nodded and gave her another kiss, going back to watching the movie. Nicole turned back to the tv, but she wasn't interested in the movie anymore. She began thinking, noticing that they had yet to complete their mating ceremony that was so important to Nightshade. She wanted to do it, as soon as possible, not only for her and Aldrich, but for his pack. They were her people now, just like Aldrich has said about her pack. She owed it to them to participate in their traditions.

"Aldrich, when can we have our mating ceremony?"

"Uhhh... well the full moon is tonight, so, unless you want to wait until next month, then tonight I guess."

Nicole nodded. "Can we?"

Aldrich glanced down at her, his eye brows furrowed. "Yeah. But why are you so ready all of a sudden?"

She shrugged, not meeting his eyes. "I owe it your pack. You spend so much time at my pack that the least I can do is acknowledge them when I am here. And plus it's tradition. I feel like I should participate in Nightshade's traditions."

Aldrich nodded, turning back to the movie. He remained silent for a moment before speaking. "I mind linked Josh, he's setting everything up for tonight."

Nicole smiled, kissing him once again. "Thank you."

Aldrich kissed her back, mumbling 'You're welcome.' between her lips.

It had been last minute and a bit of a headache, but somehow, Josh was able to pull it off. The pack house had been set up for the celebration after Nicole and Aldrich's ceremony, and the pack was buzzing with excitement to see the female their alpha had been destined too. They had seen her a few times around the pack, mostly when the attacks had happened and after the raid on the enemy outpost; but none of them had officially met the woman. Sure, they had heard of her, but they were eager to meet her and welcome her to their home.

Nicole was in Aldrich's room, which he had left to allow her to get ready for the ceremony. A few trusted woman had met her in the room and were helping her prepare. They were older than her, which Nicole was somewhat grateful for. They had grown up with Aldrich's father, and helped raise Aldrich when his mother had been killed and his father began to deteriorate. They were kind, motherly, and Nicole noticed how she hadn't had that growing up.