Chapter 27

Aldrich had met Nicole at his house like he promised, and they had spent about an hour enjoying each other and relaxing. It was now close to 8 pm, and Aldrich still wasn't back from dealing with pack duties. Nicole had opted to stay at the house while he left to attend to his duties, so she was currently sitting in the bed, her laptop open, and James on the other line.

"He's just pissed that you're letting Aldrich have a say in things. You know how he is." said James, replying to the nearly 15 minute rant Nicole had just got done with.

She sighed, running her hand through her still wet hair, thanks to the shower she had taken an hour before. "I know, but Aldrich's right. He can't be speaking out of place like that, regardless if Aldrich is my mate or not. If he'll talk to Aldrich Branson like that, do you really think he wouldn't mouth off at another alpha?"

James nodded, rubbing his chin with his pointer finger. "Yeah, I get what you're saying. What do we do about it?"

Nicole shrugged, honesty not knowing what to tell him. "I can tell you what Aldrich would do if it were him, or even my dad. But I honestly have no idea. I don't know what's gotten into him lately. He's just been.. off, I guess."

James felt his anxiety prick at her words. "Now that you said that, I think you should know," he paused for a moment, listening to make sure he didn't hear anyone. "he's been staying in his office a lot. Daniel, one of the men that helps keep the pack house up, told me he's been acting weird to him. He's being secretive. Like, he's hiding something. I didn't want to say anything until you brought it up. I don't want to start rumors or anything."

Nicole pondered in his words. What is he up to? "Let's keep this between us. Have Daniel and someone else that Lance wouldn't be suspicious of take turns keeping an eye out on him. With everything that Etoile told me about the Martinez's, I don't really put it past anyone to try and betray us."

James nodded. "I will." He leaned back against his bed frame, readjusting his laptop in his lap. "Did you and Aldrich ever talk about the letter?"

"Yeah, we did. I want you to reply back and tell them we would be happy to meet them. Have them come to Nightshade."

James furrowed his eye brows. "Are you not coming home?"

Nicole sighed, glancing anywhere but at her gamma. "I just... I think it's time... to be figuring out what I'm gonna do with the pack. Aldrich has agreed to let me keep my alpha status, and the people here seem to be totally fine with that. I just.. I don't know. I don't know what to do. If we're gonna be together and lead together, we can't keep going back and forth."

James nodded slowly, understanding where she was coming from. "Yeah, I get it. Do you want to sell the pack or what?"

Nicole picked her words carefully. "I think... I think I either want you or Lance to have it. If Lance isn't doing anything he shouldn't, and depending on how he reacts when he's called out for his behavior today, he honestly would be the next in line under me. I just.. I have a bad feeling every time I think about him becoming an alpha. I just don't think he can handle it, ya know?"

James nodded. His featured turned serious, all casualties gone from his tone. "So what you're saying is, there's a chance I might get it?" His tone held a slight bit of nervousness to it. He had never thought about being an alpha before.

Nicole smiled softly and nodded. "Would you want that, if it comes to that?"

James took a ragged breath. "I mean, I'd be an idiot to say no." he replied, laughing at the end.

Nicole laughed too, nodding. "Yeah, you would. We can talk more on it once you figure out what's going on with Lance. I want to discuss it with Aldrich a little more too and get his opinion."