Chapter 3

The room was filled with tension as the mates sat at the mahogany desk, their strong voices filling the small space of Nicole's office.

"I won't risk my people's lives for your pack." sneered Nicole, as she sat back in her chair behind her desk. Her face, along with Aldrich's, wore a strong look as they stared each other down.

"I'm not asking you to risk their lives. My warriors will be with be fighting alongside them the whole time." replied Aldrich, the veins in his neck popping out as his wolf begged to come to the surface and discipline his disrespectful mate. She spoke to him with so much carelessness, not a touch of submission in her voice. It angered him, but he couldn't help but be impressed by her. It wasn't a usual sight, seeing a female leading a pack alone.

The room suddenly filled with silence as the two Alpha's stared each other down, neither of them looking away nor blinking as they stared, both trying to break the other into submission. So far, neither had budged, and Nicole's lip began pulling back into a snarl, ready to flash her teeth at the man.

"Alpha, may I propose a proposition to you and Alpha Danielson?" Aldrich's beta, Josh spoke up, moving to stand by Aldrich's side. In the presence of his alpha, especially since she was his mate, his attitude towards Nicole had changed drastically.

Aldrich nodded his head, his eyes still remaining on Nicole as Josh said his piece.

"Why not do an exchange? We get some of your warriors and trackers, and in exchange, we will pay for their services. That way, we can exterminate the rogues, that, might I add, pose a very lethal threat to all neighboring packs. If you think about it, Alpha, the well-being of your pack is at stake."

Nicole's eyes snapped to Josh's as the words left his mouth. "Don't use the well-being of my pack against me. I know what's good for them. I don't need a narcissistic beta, who has to have his alpha hold his tail and make him show respect, giving me advise."

Josh's eyes narrowed as he took a threatening step towards her. A snarl sounded through the room, all eyes shooting to Aldrich's shaking form.

"Back up, Josh."

Josh's eyes widened as he stepped back, knowing better than to go against the protective alpha male. Nicole moved her eyes back to Aldrich, who had his eyes slammed closed as he mumbled soothing words to his wolf. His body was slowly beginning to relax as he assured his inner beast that there was no danger to be done to their mate. He slowly opened his eyes, his forest green irises meeting crystal blue. The tension in the room was slowly fading as the mates kept hold of each other's gaze.

"Alpha, I mean no disrespect. But you need to understand that these rogues will stop at nothing to attain what they want. They will attack your territory, as they have mine. And no offense, but if my warriors barely held them off, how do you think a pack this size will?" Aldrich's voice was soft as he spoke, shocking the packs members in the room. Before he let Nicole answer, he shot a glare at his second and third command, before looking back at Nicole. "I also want to formally apologize for my beta and gammas actions the other night."

Nicole's shoulders sagged slightly as the softness of Aldrich's voice rang through her ears, along with his apology. Her wolf whined in her mind as she stared at their mate, wanting nothing more than to go to him. She growled to her wolf, tensing her shoulders back up as she glared at Aldrich. "I don't need your help, nor apology. Now, mate, if you would, leave my territory."

Aldrich's face fell for a split second before his features darkened. "You'll regret this. When those rogues attack, you'll wish you had me. I'll do as you ask and leave tho." He turned to his beta and gamma. "Come. We'll take our leave."