Chapter 34

The group returned to Nightshade early that morning, tired and worn out, but relieved nonetheless. Aldrich had caught Nicole up on what was happening in Silent Ash, and she was heartbroken when he told her about Lance.

"He betrayed me? Why?" she asked, blinking back tears.

Aldrich had sighed. "I don't know. He's waiting at Nightshade for us to return. Lilith's wife sent some of her fathers men to capture him and the ones helping him. James' father stayed behind so he could travel here and talk to you. James has done well."

Nicole had nodded and settled back in beside Aldrich, closing her eyes as they drove back to Nightshade.

Once they arrived, Aldrich woke Nicole, knowing that they had things to deal with before resting. She was exhausted, and they hadn't even talked about the baby in the midst of everything. Silent Ash and it's traitors had to be dealt with, immediately. Nicole sluggishly climbed out of the SUV, glancing at her mom and brother who had already climbed out of the vehicle they were in. She walked over to them, chuckling at Drews amazement to the things around him. "It's amazing, it's it?"

He nodded, lost for words. "Is this the pack house?"

"Yeah. Welcome to Nightshade."

Drew smiled, still taking in his surroundings. "Can I see your pack?"

Nicole felt her hurt break at his words. "It's your pack too, Drew. You have mom and dads blood running through you too. You're an alpha. It's just as much your pack as mine."

Drew turned to look at her, his eyes unreadable. "I know. Thank you. When can we go home?" he asked, rewording his statement.

Nicole smiled. "Soon. I have things to deal with here. But I promise, soon."

Drew nodded, following her into the pack house. Nicollet followed behind, already somewhat familiar with Nightshade. She was ready to return to Silent Ash though. She had missed her home and was becoming antsy to return. "What happened with our pack, Nicole?"

Nicole sighed as they made their way inside. "Lance betrayed me. He was working with the Martinez's. James and I had been suspicious of him, but we didn't have solid proof to accuse him. When Santiago took Alex and I, Lance turned on Silent Ash. They've captured him, along with the traitors he had helping him."

Nicollet nodded, her eyes going dark. She had loved Lance and James both, and it broke her heart that one of them would betray the pack and her daughter. "What will you do?"

Nicole didn't answer for a moment. "I don't know. James is here, so, I guess we'll discuss it and go from there."

Nicollet didn't reply, instead walking into the large office they had piled into. James was sitting at the desk, and he looked up once they arrived. "Nicole." he said in relief, standing up and immediately pulling her into a hug. "Are you okay?"

Nicole nodded, holding onto him tight as she hugged back. "Yeah. Are you okay?"

James pulled back, still embracing her. "Yeah. I'm fine."

Nicole nodded and smiled at him, hugging him once more before pulling away. "What happened?"

James stepped around the desk, looking at everyone in the room. He didn't recognize a few of them, but he would worry about that later. "I was in my office and Lance came in. He began telling me that Nightshade was about to be attacked. I asked him how he knew, and he claimed he had a man double crossing the Martinez's. I didn't believe him, and he eventually came clean. That's when hell broke loose." He stopped, taking a deep breath. "He had snuck some wolves in, and apparently, the witch was covering their scents. They overthrew me, and Lance started leading as the alpha. Lilith... mind linked me? I don't know. She got in touch with me though and explained what happened at Nightshade. I had tried calling Nicole and Aldrich, but it made sense after I talked to Lilith. She told me to stay alive, no matter what, and that a couple vampires would be entering the pack later. That's pretty much it. The vampires came, killed majority of the traitors, took Lance prisoner, and here I am."

Nicole swallowed hard. Anger clouded her mind. She trusted Lance. She loved him as a brother. And he betrayed her?

Aldrich placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know you're angry. Calm down. He'll be dealt with."

"I want to see him." she said, her voice hard.

Aldrich nodded, turning to Josh. "Where is he?"

Josh turned to leave, and Nicole, along with James, Lilith, and Aldrich followed. He led them to where the cells were, in a building about a hundred yards away from the pack house. The main part of the building was mostly for petty crimes: theft, assault, trespassing, and things of that nature. The basement, where Josh was leading them, was for the more serious crimes. Nicole remembered the last time she was in there. They were interrogating wolves they had captured from the raid. She remembered the power she felt when the men realized how powerless they were against her. She didn't feel that now though. Instead, she was filled with dread as they walked down the cement stairs. It smelt in the basement, the stench of blood, sweat, and urine permeating the air. It made her sick.

Finally, Josh led them to a cell where Lance was huddled in the corner. He had been beaten, but was alive like Aldrich had wanted. Nicole's heart fell as she stared at him. He wouldn't look at her, he wouldn't look at anyone. He just stared at the cement floor, his eyes dark. Lilith made her way to the group, standing beside Nicole, and placing a hand on her shoulder. "He couldn't help it, Alpha. Don't be hard on yourself."

Nicole turned and looked at her, her eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Lilith glanced to Lance, pity filling her face. "My mother placed a curse on him. He couldn't help but be filled with anger and resentment. He hated you, but not by his own accord. Don't blame him."

"He practically burned Silent Ash to the ground." Aldrich growled out.

Lilith looked at Aldrich, still speaking calmly. "He did, but under the influence of dark magic. Blood magic. He didn't know what he was doing."

"Is he back to himself yet?" Nicole asked, her voice soft and quiet.

Lilith shook her head. "I've been working on getting my mother to lift the curse. She's being difficult. But I can manage it."

Nicole stepped towards the bars of the cell slowly. Lances head shot up to her, a wild look in his eyes. Lilith kept her hand on Nicole's shoulder. "He's not himself. It's best to leave him be."

Nicole sighed and nodded, turning and leaving the basement without another word. Aldrich followed after her, pulling her into a tight hug once they made it outside and her sobs began pouring out of her. "Shhh, it's okay. We're gonna fix him, I promise."

"Don't say that. You can't be sure." she cried out.

Aldrich grabbed her face gently, lifting her head to look at him. He wore a serious face, a look of determination. "I can. If Lilith can't make the bitch lift the curse, I'll throw her in a cell and make her myself. I don't care how I have to do it, or who it pisses off, but she will lift the curse. I swear to you."

Nicole's tears still ran down her face, but she nodded before burying her face back in his chest. He held her for a moment, before scooping her up and walking back to the pack house. When they arrived, Nicole's mother rushed to them. "What's wrong?!"

Aldrich shook his head. "She's fine. Just overwhelmed. I have rooms set up for you and your son. Alex will show them to you. Get some rest and when you two wake up tonight, we'll all talk."

Nicollet glanced at Nicole once more, who was now fast asleep in Aldrich's arms. "Okay. Come get me if she needs me."

Aldrich nodded and began walking away before Nicollet stopped him once again. "Thank you." she said.

Aldrich smiled and nodded once more, walking off and going to one of the spare bedrooms in the pack house. Walking in, he gently laid Nicole on the bed, undressing her so she didn't have to wear the dirty clothes any longer. As she pulled her shirt off, he looked at her stomach, seeing the small and barely noticeable bump. His eyes filled with tears, and he gently laid his head on the bump. Da-dum, da-dum, da-dum. His child was there, with a heart beat and was safe. Tears ran down his face, and he hurriedly wiped them, then removed his own clothes. Crawling in beside Nicole, he pulled her to him, closing his eyes and finally getting some rest.