Chapter 8

The tension in Aldrich's car was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. What had meant to be a time for the two alphas to discuss the situation with the packs, had turned into so much more. They had marked each other, somewhat on a whim, but neither one of them could find a bit of regret in themselves. Aldrich had a dopey smile on his face from the moment they had broke apart. Nicole's cheeks had been flushed as she stared at her mates face, realization of what they had just done sinking into her. Their wolves called out to one another, howling in excitement and content as they were able to connect to one another.

The alphas silently made their way back to the beach, their hands only leaving each other's long enough to slide their clothes back on. Aldrich led his mate back to his car, opening her door and letting her in, before walking around the drivers side and getting in himself. Nicole played with her fingers nervously, looking out the window to avoid Aldrich's heated gaze. The tension in the car soon went from a awkward tension, to a sexual tension as Aldrich let his mind wander. He smirked as he saw Nicole squirm in her seat, his thoughts filling her mind as he kept the mate link open. Nicole could smell her arousal feeling up the car, and her cheeks became a deep red as she heard Aldrich chuckle under his breath.

"Thank you, for tonight. The dinner and..after." she spoke, her voice coming out softer than she meant it to.

Aldrich's smirk dropped to a smile as he took her hand in his, moving their clasped hands to Nicoles lap. "You're welcome." He contemplated his next words, praying to the moon goddess his mate didn't slap him for his brashness. "I was somewhat hoping the night didn't have to end." His voice was unsure as he stared at the road, nervousness pooling in his chest.

Nicole looked over to him, a smirk building on her face as she squeezed his hand in hers. "Is Alpha Branson nervous?" She turned in her seat, her smirk turning into a smile as she saw the light pink on Aldrich's cheeks.

He glanced at her, smiling shyly. The feelings his mate was making him feel were feeling he had never felt. He was Aldrich Branson, Alpha of Nightshade, the largest and strongest pack in the country. He didn't get nervous. Yet, here he sat, debating over if he should've kept his mouth shut about going back to her place or not.

After a moment of silence, Nicole gave his hand a squeeze once again. She leaned over in her seat, her lips pressing to the corner of Aldrich's. She gave him a small kiss, mumbling, "Yes, Aldrich, you can stay with me tonight."

Aldrich had the biggest smile on his face as he turned his head, capturing her lips in his in a heated kiss. He pulled the car to the side of the road, shutting it in park as he pulled her into his lap. The kiss deepened as Nicole dug her hands into his black hair. A deep growl came from Aldrich's chest, his grip on her waist tightening as she ground her hips into his. Just as Aldrich began to let his seat back, a phone ringing interrupted them. Aldrich growled dangerously, fishing his phone out his pocket.

"What?" he growled out, nearly crushing the phone in his hand.

"Alpha, it's AJ, there's rogues at the borders, I need orders!" a voice rang out through the phone. Nicole pulled herself off Aldrich, sliding back into her seat as he hurriedly cranked the car back up.

"Where's Alex?" asked Aldrich, his deep voice coming out hard and demanding.

"He's fighting rogues. He didn't have time to call you, so he sent me to. Alpha, we need help! They are pushing us back towards the pack house!"

Aldrich growled out as he glanced at Nicole. "I'll be there as soon as possible, hold them off the best you can. Move all the woman and children from the pack house to the jail and lock it down. The cells will be the safest place for them. AJ, be careful."

The boy on the other line hung up, and Aldrich tossed the phone in her lap. He began mind linking with James, as she did the same with Lance.

"Lance, get a few of the warriors and head to Nightshade pack immediately. They are being attacked."

"Yes Alpha." he answered back immediately, closing the link as he went to do as his alpha said.

"Nicole, I'm dropping you off at your border, go straight to your pack house and don't leave until I return." Aldrich's voice sounded through the car.

"No, I'm going with you."

Aldrich turned to look at her, his eyes widened. "No, you aren't! You are not going back to my pack to fight off rogues."

Nicole turned in her seat, her eyes narrowed as she yelled out, "Aldrich, it's my pack too now. I will go and defend my pack, whether you like it or not!"

Aldrich looked at her for a moment, his gaze hard as he tried to think of how to make her stay. Seeing the fire and rage in her eyes, he realized nothing he did would keep her away from the fight. He sighed, shaking his head as he turned back to the road. "Okay. But you stay by me at all times. I just found you, I won't lose you."

Nicole's heart swelled at his words. She squeezed his large hand in hers, reaching out to him through the new mate link they had. "I've been trained to fight rogues my whole life. I'll be fine."

Aldrich soared her another worried glance, before nodding and speeding towards his pack.

James had already called the alpha of the territory standing between Nicole's and Aldrich's, letting him know they would be passing through. He, given the circumstances, was okay with it and gave them permission. James and Lance gathered all their people, and hurriedly began running to the pack. Aldrich sped down the road to his pack, going well over 100 mph, praying that Nightshade would still be there when he arrived.