8: Once Bitten, Twice Shy

Please comment 🥺

Jameel

"Good morning, sir," Daniel greeted.

"Good morning," Jameel responded as he walked past him in the reception.

Just as he was about to go into his office, he stopped in his tracks and walked back to his secretary's table.

"Do you need something, sir?"

"The lady that came here yesterday," he started. "Did she leave her file behind?"

Daniel's brows slightly furrowed at his boss's lack of specification. "Which lady are you talking about? A lot of people came in yesterday."

"The one that wanted to talk to me about her declined application and you tried to stop her...'"

"Oh!" Daniel snorted. "The uncouth woman that created a fuss here yesterday."

Jameel huffed at the name-calling. He wanted to reprimand him for speaking so disrespectfully about the lady he loved, but because he didn't want to stress himself, and for the fact that his secretary was oblivious to who Afrah was to him, he decided to let it slide. "Did she leave anything behind?"

"No," he replied. "I saw her leave with her papers."

"And her contact?"

Confusion was written all over Daniel's face. "I don't thi-"

"I want you to get it for me as soon as possible. I didn't care how you do it." Jameel didn't wait to see his assistant's reaction or listen to his reply before walking straight into his office.

He plopped down on his swivel chair and heaved a sigh, regrets creeping into his mind for allowing Afrah to leave like that yesterday. He should have stopped her or at least make her leave a link where he would be able to get through to her. He felt stupid-stupid to have made a mistake almost as big as the last one.

Although Jameel couldn't wait to see Afrah again, he was nervous about the conversation he would have with her-the conversation that couldn't be evaded.

Jameel broke out of his thoughts when his phone rang.

Without checking the caller ID, he clicked on received and took the phone to his ear.

"Hey," came Asim's voice.

Jameel's lips broadened. "Angon Ilham! Yane? I left you a beep call yesterday. I didn't want to," he chuckled. "You know, disturb the two of you. I wouldn't have even made the call if it was something piddly."

There was silence for a few seconds before Asim spoke; "What happened? Don't tell me you did something to Najah because I'm not going to support you no matter whose fault it is. That girl has been patient with you for-"

Irritated, Jameel cut his friend off. "This isn't about Najah!" He breathed. "I met Afrah yesterday. She was in my office."

"Who's Afrah?"

Jameel rolled his eyes at the question but answered anyway. "My Afrah."

"Are you okay, bro?"

Jameel's brows furrowed in incomprehension.

"Are you sure you aren't sick or something?"

"I'm perfectly fine," Jameel sneered. "Thanks for your concern."

"No, I'm serious," Asim continued. "You sound sick. I'm really concerned here. How can you meet a dead person in broad daylight?"

"She isn't dead. Afrah. Isn't. Dead." He enunciated his words for better understanding. "She was in my office yesterday, we spoke, and I even touched her. It wasn't an illusion. Afrah is really alive. She never died. She's hale and healthy."