42: Cheesed off

Concluding her zuhr prayer, Najah decided to video call her husband to know if he had arrived. She was a tad worried because typically, he would have called her to let her know.

A smile curled up Najah's lips as Jameel's face filled her screen. "Assalamualaikum."

He returned the smile. "Wa alaikum salaam warahmatullah wabarakatuh."

"How was your journey?" Najah asked. "I can see you've arrived at Hajiya's. I was worried for nothing."

"I'm sorry, Najah, I didn't get the chance to call you or Afrah because I have been catching up with Hajiya. We have been talking since I arrived."

"I trust Hajiya," Najah laughed. "When exactly did you reach?"

"About an hour ago, I guess."

"I hope you've prayed."

"I have."

"Is Hajiya close? I want to see and talk to her."

"Hajiya is—"

"I'm here!" Hajiya's voice could be heard from the background.

"And she's here." Jameel chuckled and gave the phone to his mother. 

"Okay."

"Hajiya!" Najah squealed as Jameel's face was replaced with Hajiya's on her phone screen. "Good afternoon, Hajiya."

"How are you doing, my daughter?"

"I'm fine, Hajiya."

"That's good to hear. You look pregnant, are you?"

"Hajiya..." Jameel muttered.

Najah's cheeks heat up. She had no idea what she was supposed to say so she kept mute.

"What?" Hajiya asked Jameel. "I'm just curious."

"How can you tell a woman is pregnant by merely looking at her?"

"I just asked her a question. I didn't say she is." 

"Hajiya, you're making Najah uncomfortable. See, she isn't talking anymore."

Najah mentally thanked Jameel for putting it out to Hajiya. She was really dying of embarrassment. Hajiya's intense gaze was making it even worse.

"Don't mind me, Najah, this is me being impatient. Can you blame me for wanting this?"

"Not at all, Hajiya, but you should know that these types of questions make people uncomfortable. When it happens, you're going to be the first person we are going to tell."

Jameel's words were soothing. So soothing that Najah couldn't hide the blush on her face. She felt like jumping for joy.

"I wasn't talking to you." Hajiya's words were for Jameel. "the question was for my daughter. Stay out of this."

"Hajiya," Najah suppressed a chuckle. "He just arrived and you're already casting him aside?"

In an attempt to show her displeasure for taking Jameel's side, Hajiya squinted. "I'm giving the phone back to him."

"Hajiya, so soon?"

"Seems you're dying to talk to him. I'm off to my room. Call me on my phone later."

Najah smiled. "I will, Hajiya. Bye."

Jameel's face returned to Najah's screen.

"Is Hajiya gone?"

"Yes," Jameel replied. "You want me to call her back for you?"

Najah shook her head. "I'm just going to call her later on her phone. Right now, it's you I want to talk to."