20: Raining On His Parade

When Jameel returned to his house, he was glad that almost all the guests had left. There were only a few of them remaining. He couldn't wait any longer to see his bride. He had been anticipating that for a very long time.

Jameel's lips stretched into a smile as he made his way to Afrah's room, but just as he was about to place his hand on the doorknob, he remembered he hadn't seen or greeted his mother. He dropped his hand and began to make his way to his mother's room. For a fact, he knew that if he entered the room, it would take all of his willpower to be able to leave right away and he needed to greet his mother first. It was like a morning rite for him. It had always been the way he starts his day, after his obligatory prayer of course.

"Assalamualaikum," he knocked on the door."

"Wa Alaikum Salam," replied hajiya Hauwa. "You can come in."

Jameel walked in to his mother having her breakfast.

He sat on the mat beside her and took a yam ball from one of the plates in front of her and stuffed it in his mouth. "Good morning, hajiya."

"Good morning," she replied, pushing the plate of food to him. "Have more. Najah is a definition of an ideal wife. She's so selfless. Do you know she woke up very early today to prepare food for everyone? Especially for your second wife?"

Jameel nodded in agreement. He wasn't really surprised by her selfless act because he knew that was the kind of person she was. It was one of the numerous reasons he respected her a great deal.

"She's going out of her way to impress that woman when in fact that woman is the one who's supposed to be doing that." Hajiya Hauwa spat.

"Hajiya!" Jameel sighed. "Afrah just got here. I'm sure she's going to make you something nice once she's settled in."

"As if I care." Hajiya Hauwa huffed. "She shouldn't even bother trying to cook for me because she'd only be wasting her time. I bet she doesn't even know how to cook. I already have a daughter that cooks just fine."

Lost for words, Jameel hummed. He didn't like the way his mother was speaking about Afrah but at the same time, he couldn't tell it to her. He didn't want to hurt his mother's feelings by making it seem like he was already taking his wife's side.

"Do you know she hasn't come to greet me this morning?" Hajiya Hauwa questioned, narrowing her eyes at her son. "From the beginning, I knew that woman is-"

"Hajiya, please," Jameel beseeched. "please just give her a little more time to adapt to her new environment. Could you please get to know her better? You're definitely going to see the qualities I see in her and come to love her."

Hajiya Hauwa shook her head but didn't utter a word in response to what he had said. "Did you go somewhere? I sent someone to call you earlier but you weren't in your room."

"Yes," he answered. "I went to drop a few stuff at Asim's, and on my way back, I saw Amal, Afrah's friend. I had to take her to the bus station. Hajiya, I have greeted you, I need to go now." Jameel stood up to leave.

"Wait!" She got on her feet and quickly picked up the hijab on her bed and wore it. "There is somewhere I need you to take me to."

"Now?" Jameel asked in disbelief.

"Right now." She replied. "Is there a problem? If you don't want to take me, it's fine, I will just-"

"Where do you want me to take you?" Jameel asked in a subdued voice. He had an idea of what his mother was trying to do but he still couldn't bring himself to make her feel sad by declining or asking someone else to take her to where she wanted to go. Viewing the situation from a positive perspective, it was an opportunity to spend some quality time with his mother whom he hadn't seen for weeks. "I'm free to take you anywhere you want today."