34: You Can't Beat A Child And Prevent Him From Crying

Afrah had never felt so miserable in her entire life. Not even when she was separated from Jameel. She didn't realize she had fallen asleep on the floor until she woke up.

All she could think of was Jameel's slap. It kept on replaying in her mind despite how hard she tried to swerve her mind from it. It was just impossible to do.

More tears welled up and prickled Afrah's eyes recalling how Najah was there when it happened. At that very moment, Afrah could feel her hate for Jameel growing stronger. He had created a scar in her heart—a permanent scar. No matter what would happen, Afrah knew she would never be able to forget the incident. The same man she had fought tooth and nail with her family for...the same man she had refused to get married for. It hurt more when she thought of the sacrifices she had had to make for him. "That ungrateful jerk!" Afrah threw a shoe at the mirror, shattering it into pieces. She had destroyed almost everything in the room in the hopes that it will get to Jameel's nerve and he would let her go.

Afrah sat by the foot of her bed; her heart thumping loudly in her chest. Her emotions were all over the place. More than anything else, she felt stupid—mad at herself that she allowed things to get to that point. If she could turn back the hands of time, she would never get married to Jameel again. "You two deserve each other," she mumbled amidst sobs. "I will never forgive you...you're going to live to regret this day."

Afrah didn't move a muscle when she heard the door being unlocked. Without a doubt, she knew who the person was. She clenched her fists at the effrontery.

"JaFrah..." Jameel's voice was low—almost inaudible.

Afrah shot him a death glare. The sound of the name coming from him after what he did disgusted her. She felt the urge to throw up all over him. She scoffed when she saw the tray he was holding. She couldn't believe the temerity he had. Had he forgotten he had slapped her last night?

Jameel's gaze darted to the laid bed, to the broken stuff scattered everywhere, then back to Afrah whose gaze was still fixated on him. "I brought you breakfast. I made it myself. I made all of your favorites."

Afrah swallowed a lump in her throat. The fact that he was acting like he didn't do anything to her irked her. He should be constantly apologizing instead of trying to act like the perfect husband—which he wasn't.

"You haven't had anything to eat since yesterday," Jameel voiced, crouching and dropping the tray in front of her. "Please have something to eat before I leave for work. I've been worried about you. I don't want you to get sick."

"Of course," Afrah started. "You want me to be healthy so that you can comfortably keep hitting me."

"Afrah!" Exasperation dripped off Jameel's voice.

"Did I lie?" She widened her eyes. "No, tell me; did I?"

"Stop it, Afrah, please," Jameel pleaded. "I have apologized to you. I have explained. What more do you want me to do? Isn't it clear enough to you that I regret my action? I would take it back if I can. I made the biggest mistake of my life and I'm sorry for it. I'd spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to you, Afrah. I love you so much. I don't want you to ever forget that."

His words created a tightness in Afrah's heart. She could see the sincerity in his eyes. His eyes were practically begging and longing for her forgiveness. His vulnerability made him seem even more affected than she was, but Afrah being Afrah, spurned the compassion she was starting to feel for him. "Let's see if that won't change after this!" Afrah picked the bowl of sauce and poured the entire content on Jameel's white kaftan.

"Afrah!" Jameel boomed and sprung up. "What have you done?"

Afrah stood, standing almost daringly in front of her. "I ruined your cloth," she responded. "What are you going to do about it? Slap me again, oya, go ahead and do it. I know your hands are itching to do it again. As the saying goes; if he does it once, he will surely do it again."