37: Going Through The Roof

The first thing Jameel did after concluding his fajr prayer was pick up his phone to check his notifications. 

He was a tad crestfallen that Afrah had not replied his last text message to her, but the feeling instantly vanished and a smile appeared on his face. His Afrah was finally coming home to him. That was all that mattered at the moment. 

Assalamualaikum...
Are you awake? I'll be on my way to pick you up shortly.

Jameel sent the message and tossed his phone aside afterward. His heart was thumping in anticipation. The past few weeks without Afrah had been hell for him. He was in constant fear that she wouldn't forgive him and that she might tell her family what happened.

He was certain his fears wouldn't come to pass; Afrah had indisputably forgiven him—he could tell by the way she spoke to him over the phone and how she told him she wanted to return home. She didn't tell her family about what he did, for if she had done that, her father would have already skinned him alive. Jameel could vividly remember the threat that had been issued to him. 

Still engrossed in his thought, Najah walked into the room, muttering "assalamualaikum"

Jameel didn't notice her presence until she sat beside him on the prayer mat and reclined her head on his shoulder.

He stiffened.

Najah intertwined their arms; her head still on his shoulder.

Jameel felt some type of way about her clinginess, especially after how their marriage was consummated the other night. In the depth of his heart, he felt he was doing something wrong and had cheated on Afrah. He knew he shouldn't be having that thought or feeling as Najah was also his wife but he couldn't help it. Maybe it was because it was all new to him and he needed to get used to it first. Although it felt wrong, it was the right thing to do. As much as he would want to deny it, she also had rights over him.

"Good morning," Najah's voice was soft.

Jameel gave a closed-lip smile. "Good morning."

Najah lifted her head from his shoulder and fixated her gaze on him. "Did you pray for me?"

"I prayed for the ummah."

"I prayed to Allah to always keep my husband happy and healthy for me." Najah voiced.

Again, the weird feeling settled at the pits of Jameel's stomach. "Jazaak Allahu Khairan."

"Next time you pray, I want you to specifically pray for me too, okay?"

Jameel nodded.

"What do you want to have for breakfast today?"

"Don't bother about me...you should make something for yourself. I'm going to Minna today."

Najah's brows furrowed. "You are? Suddenly? I hope everything is fine."

"Yes," Jameel responded. "Everything is fine. I'm going to pick up Afrah from their house. She has finally decided to come back home."

"Oh!" Najah mouthed; her demeanor contorted in sadness, and she didn't bother to mask it.

Jameel understood her worry and to him, it was justified. "What's on your mind?"