67: Stuck In Limbo

As Najah sat on the edge of her bed, just staring into space, sadness settled deep within her soul. She could feel Jameel slipping away, like sand through her trembling fingers, yet there was nothing she could do. Even without being told, she knew Hajiya was feeling the exact way. Helpless.

Although Najah had gone through something similar before with Jameel, this time, she felt it was different. Way different than the first time. Jameel's action had shown her that she meant little to nothing to him.

The weight of her realization pressed heavily upon her, threatening to suffocate her spirit. She had become painfully aware that her husband's heart belonged completely to another. He did not even have a little space in there for her.

She had always convinced herself that the little love Jameel showed to her was enough and that her love would bridge whatever gap that was left between them. But now, the truth had become way too glaring to deny. He simply didn't love her. He was only tolerating her, and the reason for the tolerance was his mother whom he didn't want to hurt or disrespect by divorcing her.

The way he looked at her was once filled with respect and tenderness, but now, it had transformed into a distant gaze.

Najah didn't need a soothsayer to tell her that Afrah was the architect of all her troubles.

Afrah's presence in Najah's life was like a dark cloud that never seemed to dissipate. From the moment they met, Najah had a nagging feeling that something was off about her, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. She had a change of heart when she had her first miscarriage and Afrah was there to support her. And now, she had become unsure of her intention. She felt Afrah had a hidden agenda because someone as terrible as her couldn't possibly be empathetic.

Najah couldn't fathom how Afrah could stoop so low as to create conflict between a mother and her own son. It was clear to her that Afrah was manipulating situations to serve her own interests, without even sparing Hajiya, who deserved respect and love as a mother. The sheer audacity and disregard for Hajiya disgusted her.

Although Najah didn't know what, she knew that she had to do something to protect Hajiya from Afrah's toxic behavior since Jameel wouldn't as he had been locked up in a bottle. Seemingly.

Najah was still engrossed in her thoughts when Jameel walked into her room.

"We need to talk!" His voice was stern, leaving no room for her to explain herself. It seemed to Najah that Afrah had already fed him with her lies and he was there to confront her.

"I'm listening," Najah replied, without looking up at him.

"Why are you doing this?"

Najah's brows furrowed in confusion as she wondered what she had done that was so wrong. She wanted to ask him about it, but the moment she opened her mouth to speak, she decided against it. Instead, she would sit quietly and listen to what he had to say.

"I have tried to turn a blind eye to the things you do, but not anymore because it's getting out of hand."

Najah's confusion grew even bigger. Just what had Afrah told him she did?

"You weren't like this before."

Najah swallowed a painful lump in her throat.
"To say I'm disappointed in you would be an understatement."

"Just when have you not been disappointed in me?" Najah couldn't maintain her silence anymore. She had been trying to hold back tears since he walked into the room and used that tone on her, but they were threatening to spill over. She took a deep breath and tried to compose herself. "What have I done this time? At least, I deserve to know what I'm being castigated for."