61: Like A Tornado

Jameel sat on his swivel chair in his office; his head in his hands. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that had settled in his chest after his argument with Afrah last night. He had tried so hard to prevent it from escalating and that was the reason he didn't ask her to apologize to his mother. But his effort was futile as it ended up escalating into a heated exchange of words. 

Timelessly, he had explained to her how important Hajiya was to him, and how much any disrespect towards her hurt him, but she always brushed it off as him being overly sensitive. The more he tried to reason with her, the more defensive she became. It was not the first time she had been disrespectful towards his mother. He just couldn't take it anymore.

Now sitting alone in his office in the aftermath of their heated exchange, he felt a deep sense of sadness. He loved Afrah with every fiber of his being, but he couldn't ignore the fact that she had shown disrespect to his mother. It was a sore spot for him. No one could disrespect or look down on his mother and go scot-free. Not even Afrah.

"What if I do?"

"You will see what happens next."

Replaying the argument in his head, he wondered if they were too different to make the marriage work. For his mother, he was willing to make even sacrifices he couldn't bear the thought of. Afrah daring him was like sharp daggers piercing through his heart and leaving him wounded. It was as if she was misbehaving because she knew just how much she meant to him and how he couldn't afford to lose her. In that moment, he was determined to prove to her that he would be just fine with or without her.

The disrespect she had shown Hajiya, the woman who had raised him with love and care, struck a nerve deep within him. The more he remembered what she did, the angrier he got. How could she not see the importance of his mother in his life? Hajiya had always been a pillar of strength in his life, and witnessing her being disrespected in his presence had struck a deep chord within him. The love he held for both women in his life seemed to collide, leaving him torn and emotionally battered.

Jameel felt a heavy weight settle upon his shoulders. The realization that his marriage was in jeopardy, hanging by a fragile thread, gnawed at his soul. The once unbreakable bond he shared with Afrah now seemed fragile, shattered by the shards of their hurtful words to each other. Despite not regretting fighting with her, Jameel felt a tad remorseful for how he had spoken to her. He didn't want to say hurtful things to her, but he knew he had to for her to realize her mistakes. Knowing the kind of person Afrah was, he knew he would only waste his time if he attempted to reason amicably with her. He wanted to give her a dose of her own medicine. And he did.

Jameel had always believed that the love he had for Afrah was unshakable, but now, doubts crept into his mind, casting shadows over the future he had envisioned.

For him, one thing was certain; he wouldn't be able to live with someone who had no respect for his mother. That was one sacrifice he couldn't make.

He hoped it wouldn't get to the point where he would have to choose between the two most important women in his life.

He hoped Afrah would learn to understand his perspective better.

He hoped they would find a way back to each other because he was already longing for the warmth of Afrah's embrace. Fighting with Afrah had to be the most difficult task for Jameel. He hated it passionately. It made him begin to question his own role in the situation, wondering if the case would have been better if he handled it differently.

"Jameel," Asim called, walking into the office. "I thought you've left the office.  I'm surprised you're still here. Not eager to go home today?"

Jameel heaved a sigh. "I don't know what to expect when I reach home."