47: Ticked Off

Time stood still as a whirlwind of emotions ravaged Afrah's soul. The room around her seemed to blur as if the world itself had momentarily ceased its vibrant existence.

Tears prickled her eyes as she imagined Jameel making love to another woman—promising Najah the same things he had promised her... kissing her and loving her. Afrah felt herself sinking into the depths of despair. The news was just too much for her to take. She felt like screaming at the top of her voice. Again, she regretted her decision to take Jameel back. If only she could turn back the hands of the clock and rectify her mistakes, she would. Afrah hated the person Jameel was turning her into. Everyone had always known her to be the sweetest person ever. She hated to see people fail or in pain. Her best friend, Amal could attest to that.

More than ever, Afrah felt her heart swell with hatred for Najah. If Najah hadn't compelled her, she wouldn't have gotten married to Jameel despite having so much love for him. She had given up on Jameel. She was ready to live the rest of her life without him. She had made peace with the fact that they were not meant for each other, but Najah had to intervene and destroy everything. Despite having a good heart, Afrah knew the one thing she would never be okay with was sharing her husband with another woman because her level of jealousy was just over the roof, and that was why she fought so hard to stay away from Jameel even if it meant losing him. This was exactly what she was avoiding.

Each thought of Najah's unborn child intensified her pain. She felt weakened—betrayed.

Afrah couldn't bottle her emotions up anymore. She needed someone to speak to. This time, not her friend, she wanted to speak to her mother and tell her all about her worries because she felt no one could understand her like her mother. She wanted to unload everything that was in her heart. She felt suffocated. Her breath was emerging in ragged pants.

She needed to go home. To her parents.

Swiftly, Afrah rose to her feet and left the room for Jameel's.

Just as she was about to go in, she heard him talking to someone. At first, she thought he was on the phone until she heard Najah's voice.

"I don't remember the last time I saw this much happiness in your eyes."

The words, though simple, carried a strong impact that pierced through her heart. She wasn't blind, she had only seen the immense happiness in Jameel's eyes. Afrah was very much aware that it was bound to happen eventually as Najah was still his wife, but she never expected it to be that soon. She had absolutely no control over the uneasiness that had settled in her. She felt betrayed...to an extent.

Afrah walked back into her room, wiping the tears at the corners of her eyes. She clutched her stomach with her right hand and mumbled; "I only have you in this house."

Afrah was still immersed in her thoughts when her phone began to ring, jolting her away.

It was her mother. Just whom she needed to speak to at that moment. 

"Mum!" Afrah called, her lips trembling. She was trying so hard to control her tears but it was too difficult.

"Afrah?" Mrs. Amina called; concern dripping off her tone. "Is everything alright with you?"

"No, mum," she stifled a sob. "Nothing is alright with me here. I want to come home."

"SubhanAllah, Afrah, why would you say that? Did something happen between you and your husband again? What did he do to you?"

"I just don't want to stay here anymore, Mum...I don't want to be married anymore. Please tell Dad to come and take me away. I'm so tired. I can't do this anymore. My heart can't take it."