25: Command, Not Request

Dedicated to oyiza27 ❤️

"Hajiya," Jameel called, putting away his phone and averting his concentration back to the road. "Don't you think the way you spoke to Afrah earlier on was not nice?"

Hajiya Hauwa huffed before she gave him her reply. "Tell me straightforwardly what you mean by that statement."

"I," Jameel glanced at his mother. "Noticed Afrah felt bad about how you treated her."

"Well," she shrugged. "That's her business. I just told her what was on my mind. I didn't lie."

"I felt bad too," Jameel added. The sadness on Afrah's face still haunted him. He wished at that time, that he had said something in her defense, but doing so would anger his mother or give room for disrespect. He was wary of that.

"That's also your business. I trust Najah fully but have little to no trust for Afrah. I feel she isn't a good person."

Jameel sighed, shaking his head. "You feel that way, Hajiya because you don't like her, and it's not fair on her. She hasn't even done anything to you, Hajiya. Can't you please at least wait for her to actually do something wrong? It's all I'm asking for. Please, Hajiya. I just want you to give her the benefit of doubt."

"Did she tell you to tell me all these?" Hajiya asked, turning to Jameel's whose gaze was fixated on the road. "to ask me why I hate her?"

"Wrong word, Hajiya," Jameel mouthed. "You don't hate her. How can you possibly hate the person I love?" He narrowed his eyes at his mother. "Your only child."

Hajiya Hauwa rolled her eyes.

Jameel chuckled. "She makes me happy, Hajiya. Very happy, and I know that's what you've always wanted for me. You're the most important person in my life-no one comes close, so of course, I need you to fully accept her as my wife. If you don't, my mind won't be at peace. I will always be worried. Is that what you want for me, Hajiya? To constantly worry about my mother not liking my wife?"

"If that's the case, then I'm satisfied. There's nothing I want more than for you to be happy and successful in all aspects of your life. You can't blame me for giving her the cold shoulders though, I witnessed the depression that woman and her family caused you. I just feel she isn't worth it all, but since you're already married to each other, I guess it's indeed about time I gave her a chance. I will try my best to be nicer to her."

Jameel's lips broadened. "One of the uncountable reasons I love you, Hajiya; I love the way you do things for my sake. I promise you that Afrah won't give you a chance to regret your decision. Thank you, Hajiya na."

"In all of these, I hope you are not forgetting Najah. She's a gem. Don't lose her."

Jameel couldn't agree less with his mother. He may not have any feelings for her, but he couldn't deny the fact that he was lucky to have her by his side. He knew she deserved better-deserved to be loved. It saddened him that he couldn't give her that. "I know, Hajiya."

"And I'm glad you do. She's a rare gem. You probably love Afrah more, which isn't a sin. I can't blame you because you're only human. There's no way you can love them equally, but treating them equally has become a must for you. They are both your responsibility now. Do not neglect one for the other if you don't want to cause problems for yourself. I advise you read more on the Islamic rulings of keeping two wives to avoid the punishment of going against them."

"Toh, Hajiya," Jameel puffed out his cheeks. What his mother said to him had got him wondering if he had wronged or been unfair to Najah even though they had an agreement to remain only as good friends until they are comfortable enough to take the relationship to a higher level. "I will do as you advised."