9: A Bolt From The Blue

AFrah

She was once bubbly and ambitious. She had dreams she looked forward to achieving and wants too, but not anymore. Overnight, her radiant smiles ceased, and even when they happened, they looked so stony. It was almost as if she was suffering from alexithymia or dwelling in a whole different world. Her head, perhaps?

After her conversation with Jameel, Afrah thought the burden on her shoulder would be lifted. She thought she would finally get the peace she craved for but the conversation only made her feel like a quitter-which she wasn't. Giving up had never been in her dictionary but she had to make that tough decision for the good of everyone, including herself.

The hurt on Jameel's face when she uttered those words didn't go unnoticed by her. Afrah knew he was having a tough time accepting her decision, but she also wasn't having it any easier. In as much as she was furious at her dad for what he did, she would never be able to decide without his permission-especially such a vital one.

Afrah unlocked her friend, Amal's apartment and walked in, dejected. Amal was the person who took her in when she was thrown out of her home by her father. At first, Afrah didn't want to stay with her. She hesitated because she didn't want to be a burden on anyone, but Amal convinced her to stay for at least a week, and after the period elapses, she would let Afrah leave if she was still bent on doing so. Amal and Afrah had been friends since secondary and if there was anyone who knew all of Afrah's worries and fears, then it would be her. She was also the only person who supported her decision to be with Jameel. Amal encouraged her to fight for what she wanted otherwise, she would live to regret it. Although Afrah was glad she took the advice, she wished she had done things in an entirely different manner-she wished she could take back the hurtful words she had said to her parents and how she talked back at them.

The ringtone of her phone pulled her from her trance. Needless to look at the caller ID, she already knew who it was.

It was either her mother or her brother, Nazeer.

They were the only people who were bothered about her disappearance, and although she had been ignoring their calls like the plague, they didn't give up trying. Nazeer had left a truckload of messages for her, pleading to at least know if she was alright but she hadn't responded. She had no intention of replying whatsoever.

Afrah felt a tad bad when her phone stopped ringing. Her dad was the person that threw her out, not her brother or even her mother. She realized it was unfair of her to treat them like the offender despite how they stood up for her, especially her mum.

Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, Afrah picked up her phone and dialed Nazeer's number.

He picked at the first ring.

"Ya Afrah! I have been trying to call you since you left bu-"

"Since dad threw me out like some piece of rag," she corrected.

"Please come home," he beseeched. "Nothing is the same without you here."

"Unfortunately, I can't do that," she blinked repeatedly, trying to fight back her tears. "I'm not wanted there anymore. I have overstayed there anyway."

"You know that's not true," Nazeer stated. "Everyone here misses you. Dad included. In fact, I think he misses you the most. He may try to hide it but he just isn't good at pretending. It's not his thing at all. I overheard him asking mum if she had been able to contact you so that you can come and pack the rest of your stuff," he chuckled. "He just wanted to know if mum had gotten through to you."

Afrah hummed, unsure of how to respond. She was still disappointed in how low her father had stooped.

"Where are you staying?" Nazeer inquired. "I just want to know if you're living alright. I promise I'm not going to tell mum or anyone else if that's what you're afraid of."