Chapter 5

((EDITED 5/16/2016))

A/N: Well, after getting quite a few comments and messages I finally got over my writer's block and wrote this chapter. I apologize because it's kinda a filler. I am setting up for the next big plot point. However, I know exactly where the next few chapters are going so bear with me.

Sorry about the wait. I went on a long vacation and had no motivation upon returning. Your votes and comments are really what encouraged me to hurry it up, so thanks! :)

As always, PLEASE vote and comment. It'll take just a second and it means a lot.

Picture on the right is Skylar's friend, Maria >>>>>>>

---

I sighed, fighting the urge to sink to the ground. Some part of me had known I wouldn't be able to avoid this confrontation but I still had no desire to deal with it right now.

"I know," I replied quietly, my Wolf whining in the back of my mind. She disliked the looks on some of my packmates' faces. Tentatively, I raised my head up and scanned the group, making eye contact with each one of them. Fortunately, some of the looks seemed closer to concern than downright animosity. Perhaps pack affection was winning out.

My gaze finally met Will's. To my relief, his blue eyes contained worry for me and nothing else. He gave me a slight nod of reassurance and I tried to force myself to relax. If Will was on my side, then surely some of the others would understand, too.

In an instant, Alpha Brett and my father were standing on either side of me, eyes roaming over me to assure that I was uninjured. My father gently took hold of my hair and moved it to the side, examining my neck.

"He didn't Claim me." I muttered self-consciously, aware of the many pairs of eyes fixated on my pale skin.

A murmur rippled through the group and I detected their relief intermingled with confusion.

"Did he....did you rej-" My father began before Alpha Brett could speak, then abruptly cut off. I sensed my father's hesitation to say the word 'rejection'. Even with his hatred for Gabriel, he knew that one wolf rejecting another was an excruciating process.

"No. We just...talked. Then he said he had a pack emergency and he left."

Alpha Brett's mouth hardened into a grim line. "He left his Beta to continue the Meeting after he followed you. The Beta had to call it short because of an emergency. Must be serious if they would leave so abruptly."

I noticed some of the other wolves whispering and grumbling among themselves. To force us to attend the Meeting only to call it off was an extremely impolite gesture.

"What all did he say?" Alpha Brett was back on the Mate subject now. I looked down at the ground, remember how it felt when Gabriel called me 'his'. I felt a light blush rise on my cheeks.

"He basically just confirmed that I'm his Mate, and wanted you guys to respect that." My Wolf writhed in pleasure at the thought. "And he said that he'd be seeing me soon."

I felt the air thicken with tension as the entire pack stiffened. "He'd better not come here, to our territory," I heard someone snap.

"If he does, we'll just take him out. We have the advantage here," somebody else cut in, although they sounded unsure.

"It's not really Skylar's fault, she can't control who her Mate is..." a younger she-wolf muttered.

"She should have just rejected him. Then he wouldn't follow her here." That was Anne.