Chapter 29 (Part 2)

((Another important A/N at the end. Please do read it.

THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT YET BEEN EDITED. I AM SORRY FOR ANY MISTAKES.

Sorry about the wait. If you’re wondering what took so long, I always give updates on my profile/message board. Please check there next time before asking me when I’m going to update.

Cover is another by BrittanyLeigh8! Check it out!

I’m not a big Taylor Swift fan but I really enjoy the song for this chapter. It’s best listened to during the middle or end. ))

---

---

The sensation of the wind ruffling my fur was exhilarating. It was dawn, and the orange glow of the rising sun filtered through the trees onto the forest floor below. My large paws trampled the ground as I sprinted through the woods, Gabriel’s massive Wolf form running alongside me.

It was the morning after the Mating ceremony, and for the first time in a long time I felt…carefree. I knew Cain was lurking right around the corner but I couldn’t help but feel a burst of optimism. Will had his Mate, and Maria had found hers, too! I had been shocked to see the loving look appear in her eyes when she saw Kale, but I was undeniably happy for her. Maria deserved someone to love and take care of her. I had left the happy couple behind less than an hour ago when Gabriel and I departed, and I could still picture Maria’s glowing face as she had her fingers intertwined with Kale’s. She did not bear his Mark yet but I knew they would complete the process soon.

To my surprise, Maria had elected not to have a ceremony with the pack. I assumed it had something to do with Kale but I didn’t pry. Now that both of my best friends were happy, all of my attention was on Gabriel. I wanted to enjoy these moments with him before our time ran out and Cain returned.

I turned my head slightly, glancing at my Mate. The muscles under his thick coat rippled as he took powerful strides and my Wolf admired his form. Noticing my blatant stare, Gabriel’s head swiveled and his eyes surveyed me. If I wasn’t in Wolf form, I would’ve blushed, but instead I hastily returned my gaze to the path ahead of me.

I knew I was acting like a hormone-addled teenager, but…well, I was a hormone-addled teenager. My twentieth birthday was in a few days but I felt like a shy high school girl all over again. Being around Gabriel left me with muddled thoughts and lustful impulses. Honestly, I didn’t mind. Until we completed the Mating, I knew my desires would only get worse.

Is something bothering you? His voice interrupted my thoughts.

No, I was just thinking. I spoke a bit too hastily to sound innocent.

About what?

I was prepared to just say ‘nothing’, before I realized something. We were accepting each other as Mates now, which meant we needed to be completely open with each other. Even with something as minor as this, it would improve our relationship if I was frank with him.

Plus, I wanted to see his reaction.

About how you look while you’re running, I replied before I could chicken out.

Part of me absolutely could not believe I just said that. My Wolf was content, but I felt completely embarrassed. I was horrible at flirting, apparently.

Gabriel’s look had darkened considerably, and I detected lust intermingled with incredulity.

Is that so? Was all he said, but there was emotion lingering underneath.