Chapter 31

((This is a pretty information and dialogue-heavy chapter, but I tried to make it exciting. Please let me know what you think! Only about 4 or 5 chapters left!

I absolutely LOVE the cover on the side, thank you to the_aristocrat for making it. :)

Song by Audiomachine can be listened to whenever.

Thank you Belle for editing this ridiculously long chapter!))

---

---

Rebekah’s beautiful eyes blinked once, then twice as she slowly focused on her surroundings while Raziel and I stared in complete bewilderment.

“Rebekah,” Raziel breathed, and my eyes were drawn to his face. His expression contained relief and tenderness so profound that I almost felt like an intruder. I knew Raziel cared for Gabriel, but I had never seen this intensity on his face before. Slowly, the Angel stepped toward his daughter, almost as if he was scared she would fall back into a coma with any sudden movements.

“F-father?” Rebekah stammered, her melodic voice rusty with disuse. I turned back to stare at her, still caught in my state of disbelief. As Rebekah’s brown eyes found her father’s approaching figure, she began to try to sit up. Her movements were awkward and stiff and she looked as if she were about to collapse back into the coffin, but in a nanosecond Raziel was there, his arm around Rebekah’s shoulders as he lifted her into a sitting position. “Where am I? What happened? I . . .” The woman trailed off, blinking yet again as she gazed around the room and her brow furrowed in confusion.

I couldn’t imagine what she must've be feeling, waking up in the middle of a mausoleum. Her searching gaze stopped before she saw me huddled in the shadows as Raziel got her attention.

“We’re near my house,” Raziel spoke softly, soothingly. “What’s the last thing you remember?”

“I don’t . . .” Rebekah shook her head, soft curls tumbling forward and hiding most of her expression from my view.

“It’s fine. We can get you inside, talk then. I’m just…I’m so glad you’re awake.” Raziel’s love for his daughter laced his tone with warmth. His head turned then, bright blue eyes connecting with mine. There were pools of hope and gratefulness, and I knew he was thanking me wordlessly. I smiled back, still feeling out of breath and not quite trusting my voice yet.

Bracing myself, I stood up from the wall, catching my balance as the world tilted slightly on its axis. Rebekah must have heard my movement because her head whipped around an in an instant, her penetrating gaze was on me.

“Who are you?” She croaked out, and I detected a hint of authority in her tone. She’d been a Luna, after all. I opened my mouth to reply but Raziel spoke for me.

“She’s a friend. I’ll tell you more back inside. I’m going to lift you out now.”

The woman nodded, and Raziel had her in his arms seconds later. It was something I’d never expected to see. Rebekah had a strange expression on her face, and I got the impression she did not like being carried around but she didn’t have much choice.

“Skylar, lead the way,” Raziel ordered, and I shakily walked towards the exit of the mausoleum. Some of my fatigue had thankfully abated, but I knew I needed to sit down as soon as possible. “Can you walk?” Raziel asked, and both of their eyes were on me.