Chapter 30

((If you haven't already, follow me on tumblr! sheriffsquinty.tumblr.com. 

Check out the awesome cover by killthebunny95 (let me know if I got your name wrong!)

Song on the side can be listened to at whatever point in the chapter. A lot of people have been recommending Lana Del Rey so I decided to use one of her songs.  

Thanks to Belle for editing <3)) 

---  

---  

I couldn’t believe this was happening. My Wolf’s agonized howls were difficult to drown out as I paced back and forth, deep in thought about what exactly I was supposed to do now. 

We were back in Gabriel’s house in his living room, and Eli was sitting on the couch solemnly watching my fevered movements. I couldn’t help the frustrated groan that escaped my lips as I spun to face the Beta. 

“And Gabriel honestly believed there was no other way?” 

Eli shook his head, slowly and regretfully. “He was dead-set on going after Cain. Said he had some new information, and it was the only option.” 

I’d asked him different variations of the same question, as if I expected Eli’s answer to change, but it hadn’t. My mind was going in circles amidst my Wolf’s frustration, coming to the same conclusion over and over again. Whatever Raziel had contacted Gabriel about, it was significant, especially to make Gabriel drop everything and leave in the dead of night. Curiosity was gnawing at me, begging me to take off and go get answers from Raziel. Part of me wanted to do just that. 

I ran a hand through my tangled brown curls in yet another fit of aggravation. “He didn’t even tell me . . .” I whispered, betrayal leaking into my tone. Again, I’d probably said the same thing ten times, but Eli was being patient with me. Not that he had a choice. 

“He knew you’d react like this, and there wasn’t a lot of time. He gave Jack and me instructions on how to run the pack for a few days. He made sure we were prepared, but he didn’t even pack a bag.” 

I clenched my fists tightly, not responding. There was nothing I could say that would bring Gabriel back. I would just have to sit and wait. . . 

No. I couldn’t do that. I couldn’t just loaf around while my Mate was putting his life on the line. 

What the Hell are we supposed to do? I demanded of my Wolf, who had subsided into quiet whimpering. 

Go after him. Go find our Mate . . . we . . . she started.  

I was about to respond, but then I sensed a sudden hesitation from her. What’s wrong? I pressed her, surprised she was hesitant about anything. 

It’s just…we’re Luna. I feel it. I want our Mate, but some part of me wants to protect the others. I don’t know what to do! As she spoke, I sensed the true turmoil of her emotions. My Wolf and I had gotten a new responsibility, and by instinct she wanted to act out our role as Luna, but we also wanted to run after our Mate. We couldn’t do both. 

We haven’t learned anything about being Luna, and it won’t matter if Gabriel dies, I responded after a moment, well aware of Eli’s penetrating stare fixated on me. As I spoke, I realized that despite my Wolf’s instinct to protect the pack, the far greater urge was to run after Gabriel. My Wolf would’ve pushed me out of the door already if not for her sense of obligation. 

Why would he leave us before teaching us how to help the pack? 

Whatever Raziel told him must’ve been urgent. But there’s still so much we don’t know about Cain. Gabriel could walk into a trap, I mused, the thought horrifying.